Thread: I’m starting acupuncture…

I’m starting acupuncture…

I’m starting acupuncture on Friday. Any advice? Personal stories anyone would like to share… good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog
    I’m starting acupuncture on Friday. Any advice? Personal stories anyone would like to share… good or bad?
    Hi luckydog,

I had a course of acupuncture a few months back to try and help chronic back pain and a slight scoliosis. I have a neuro disorder, Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia which affects the nerves/muscles, and somewhere in the past 10 or so years, I'd lost around 4 inches in height due to the scoliosis. My back muscles were rigid, causing me to permanently slump forward, hence the loss of height.

I've gotta be honest, I was totally sceptical about acupuncture working, but had nothing to lose so went ahead. It only took 3 sessions before improvement was noticable, and another 5 before I got the full effect. My main hope was to get back to something like my old height, and while I didn't quite reach that, it's near enough for me and has stayed.

Initially the pain was helped as well, but that hasn't lasted, but overall I was impressed with how well acupuncture worked.

I don't know how much is down to a real physical effect, maybe it's psychological, but whatever, it worked for me.

Ian

luckydog,

I am going to be honest with you and would love to talk with you on the phone if you want about my experience.

I found a doctor who did medical acupuncture. He really wanted it to work for me. I deal with a lot of pain I am T-T para complete. I have nerve pain that I can touch so it is not phantom pain. I had about 9 treatments and it did not work for me. He said that he had some success in the past with my type situation. He stopped doing them because he said that there was not purpose in keeping on doing them. It is very expensive to have done.

You don't say why you are having it done.

Contact me if you would like more information on my experience.

Stevie P

I am having it done to see if it will help with B&B. I have some return, but it does not function well. A good friend my mine’s grandfather is a neurologist in China and he said he has seen it help many people enhance return; (I trust him as he has no reason to lead me astray). My Neurologist here in the states, wrote me a prescription so at least it will be tax deductible. It is worth a try in my opinion. Almost anything is worth a try in my opinion!

Luckydog,

I've been doing treatment for about 1yr now. I get a double treatment once a week, about 45 minutes on my front - head, hands, arms, legs and feet, probably 50 needles. They also put electric stim on 4 locations.
    Then I get rolled over and about 20 needles are put along my spinal cord on my back with stim in 4 places. It's helped with pain, sensation and bladder.

Luckydog.

Go for it, and I totally hope it works for you. I this it is awsome when somthing works and helps deal with the pain that we have.

Good luck and keep me posted on the treatments.

Stevie P

I tried it for pain a few times (different accupuncturists, and each did treatments for several months), but it didn't help.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog
    I am having it done to see if it will help with B&B. I have some return, but it does not function well. A good friend my mine’s grandfather is a neurologist in China and he said he has seen it help many people enhance return; (I trust him as he has no reason to lead me astray). My Neurologist here in the states, wrote me a prescription so at least it will be tax deductible. It is worth a try in my opinion. Almost anything is worth a try in my opinion!
    Hey! thats exactly why I am still going to this day.It is a little pricy but worth giving it a try right?
    I have no bladder or bowel so I figured I would give it a try. I have one hour sessions two times a week including my weekly massage I get them inserted in my scalp and lower stomach most of the times.Then he sticks on the stimulators to try and get that connection back. I have actually seen some improvement,not much,but a little. I will still continue going until I get as much as I can handle.I'm a baby,so they kinda hurt me...even though its just a little poke
    I started out going for back pain,but it just wasen't doing anything.I figured I would rather have the other one back more.
    good luck to you.feel free to ask any more questions...
    God is good

I tried accupuncture for several weeks and did not get any pain relief. My pain is CP which does not favorably react to accupuncture. I have known many people with back pain, and other mechanical types of pain who have done very well with accupuncture.
    mike

sure to cath (or whatever) prior to the session, as often times the acupuncture loosens fluids and can fill a bladder fast. and enjoy it
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened