Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm impressed. Ubuntu.

Blog Entries
    It's like Ubuntu's package manager, point n click and it does the rest. It's called Emerge, like apt get in debian. Oddly enough, the live cd ran great and when I installed, I ran into a few problems with X. Been busy outside all day, haven't had a chance to fix it yet, just printed off the appropiate wiki page and a few others for future reference.
    You guys have those up to date computers, download the 3.4a dvd it works like a live dvd and check it out! It is smooth.
    I am anxious to try a few games on it. When they get thru with the waterfall and sprinkler system here, I'll have more time. The falls have attracted every frog in the country to here. Sounds great at nite with them all calling out. Even my bad hearing, I can hear them loud and clear.
    Gonna go outside and watch thesunset with my daWg, I'm babysittin him this week, we got the fort to ourselves
    I'll update ya on the install when I get it going(hopefully tonite) unless I tv out.

CapnGimp, is portage better than it used to be? I really liked Gentoo, but the prebuilt package selection just wasn't as good as debian and I hated compiling everything on my laptop even with ccdev or whatever the cluster compiler was. It looks pretty cool, but I would like to hear your opinion after u have been stuck with it for a while.

Thx

Matt

I love this feature of compiz-fusion! you can drag the windows right across any of the 4 desktops you can do it without compiz-fusion but doesn't loook as neat

Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by mattblan
    CapnGimp, is portage better than it used to be? I really liked Gentoo, but the prebuilt package selection just wasn't as good as debian and I hated compiling everything on my laptop even with ccdev or whatever the cluster compiler was. It looks pretty cool, but I would like to hear your opinion after u have been stuck with it for a while.
    Gentoo is (ahm) "the bees knees" if you are doing software development. Portage is the most amazing package manager out there imo. Patience is a virtue, especially on old hardware. I suspect a high-end Core 2 Duo would tear through most compiles pretty quickly though.

Sabayon is on top of a gentoo core but apparently makes a lot more binary downloads available. I have not used it myself but I understand that you need to be careful using standard gentoo software update methods with Sabayon, as it can mess up the desktop. This is all documented well on the Sabayon site. Might need to carve out another VM to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Gentoo is (ahm) "the bees knees"
    Sabayon is on top of a gentoo core but apparently makes a lot more binary downloads available. I have not used it myself but I understand that you need to be careful using standard gentoo software update methods with Sabayon, as it can mess up the desktop. This is all documented well on the Sabayon site. Might need to carve out another VM to try it out.
    Yha, read that too. I think that's their motivation for frequent updating.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    I love this feature of compiz-fusion! you can drag the windows right across any of the 4 desktops you can do it without compiz-fusion but doesn't loook as neat
    Yeah, that's a cool looking feature, which is definitely inspired by OSX Leopard's "Workspace" feature. Actually, a lot of what I saw on that YouTube vid seemed OSX inspired, but that's cool. It looks like some useful features (like the one you mention above, Cory) and not just eye-candy. The eye-candy is nice, though.

I've long wanted to build a PC from scratch, including a custom designed case, and Linux looks like a good way to go. I'm thinking it might make a good media machine (music, DVR, etc). It could be a way to make and sell low-cost computers and laptops, too, since the OS and the software would be free. I imagine there's a market for computers already set up with Linux and useful software (OpenOffice, Gimp, etc)

No secret I'm a Mac guy, but the open source world and Linux does intrigue and interest the geek in me. I like how Linux can be customized to have different looks. It'd be fun to teamup with a good programmer and design the GUI for a new Linux desktop.

I'm lost with all your technical Linux talk though.

Capn,
    you run Linux exclusively, right?

Scorpion I did see most of the stuff like you said from the OSX leopard's eye candy awhile ago when I watched Leopard's release video and I was excited to see linux programmers implementing that idea.

I'll admit I think OSX does a nicer job and offers even cooler visual effects than linux after watching the Leopard's video.

But i'm glad they still try and it seems to be improving pretty fast from the first time i saw compiz visual effects.

I always wanted to try a mac, but didn't have the extra cash to have a windows/linux and a mac, with linux I just bought an extra 200gig harddrive and put it on there. It would be nice if I could do that with a mac as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp
    I imagine there's a market for computers already set up with Linux and useful software (OpenOffice, Gimp, etc)
    Well in the business world, Linux is huge, IBM loves open source and linux. THey are really pushing for their customers to move to zLinux as well.

At the labs I work in somtimes, you can maybe find 3 windows machines and the rest are running either RHEL or SuSe E or AIX
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 08-02-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

I finally got Ubuntu installed, but I have no idea about using Linux. I don't even know how to do things like install browser plugins - I'm used to clicking on .exe files, or using the command line. And I'd like to copy my Firefox bookmarks and passwords to the Ubuntu Firefox.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Cory - Hopefully, Leopard's BootCamp will allow you to do that, if you ever decide to get a Mac. I know you can boot a Mac off an external drive, even an iPod that's configured correctly, but I'm not sure how feasible/possible it is to boot another OS off an external.

By the way, my website (under construction again) is hosted on a Linux server. Supposedly it's more stable than a server running Windows? It's cool that it's becoming more and more popular. I remember first hearing about it in '98, so it's about 10 years old? Older?

Scorp...... Alot of servers are run on linux... I've heard though the Windows server is really stable now. Larger companies seem to be going M$ cause of the ease of tech support, but you can't beat the price for a Linux setup.