Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinical trial for women with SCI (bladder)

Schuylkill County Pennsylvania (Northeast PA)

Clinical trial for women with SCI (bladder)

I went to a urologist in Philadelphia last week for incontinence. He asked me if I would like to be a part of a clinical trial he will soon be starting. I am definitely going to participate. He told me this study has already be done on children with Spina bifida with total success. The procedure is to take a biopsy of the bladder, extract the stem cell from that biopsy, grow a new bladder from the stem cells plus collagen this should take about two weeks then have the new bladder surgically attached to the existing bladder. This will add up to possibly 400cc capacity. I will still have to do the urodynamics and bladder study. I must also find out if my incontinence is from spasms or the urethra being stretched from constantly cathing.
    If this procedure does not work I will go through augmentation.

I will let you know on the results as time progresses

good luck with all that!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I'd like to know more about this study.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    I'd like to know more about this study.
    Me too, growing a bladder extension in two weeks from stem cells? Sounds amazing! And I'm wondering why this would be limited to women? Are there any websites you could point us to for more information?

I'd like to know more info on this...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Update : Neobladder Construct

Hello all, I went through all the testing required for the study I am waiting now for the appt. to have the biopsy taken. I know I first posted it would take 2 weeks to grow the new bladder in a lab. I have since learned it will take 6 to 8 weeks to grow.
    For more information on the procedure here is a website. This is the first time the study has been on female adults with SCI in the USA.

http://www.christie.nhs.uk/patients/...o_bladder.aspx

Latest update

Hello all, I completed all testing with success. I go for my bladder biopsy 10/4. Then they will send biopsy to lab and grow the new bladder, this will take 6 to 8 weeks. I know when I first posted I said it would take two weeks. Well I repeated what was told to me and they now tell me 6 to eight weeks. My surgery will be the week before or after thanksgiving. During the healing process the dr. will put a supra pubic catheter, and gradually clamp it off, then have it removed

Mey mlkost

How did your op go? Sure hope you are healing well and feeling ok. This sounds like a wonderful study......

I suppose using your own bladder cells may help avoid some of the problems you hear about with augmentation like mucous and bowel problems!

Keep us updated

biopsy & surgery delayed

Hello, my biopsy was delayed until 10/25/07 because the lab (Tengion) was not accepting tissue for a few weeks. I was told prior that they were cleaning the lab and they do not accept new tissue during cleaning.....
    Overall my biopsy went well. My surgery is scheduled for 1/8/08. There was one other young woman who had this done and in Nov. and is doing very well. My doc. asked me for permission to have my surgery recorded by CBS and I agreed. CBS will be doing a story on regenerative medicine that will be airing the end of January. I am not sure if I will be interviewed. We will be going over details after admission.

When I first posted about this clinical trial I said it was women only.... according to these details men are also welcome.
    Anyone interested in recruiting details the link is:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...ries%22&rank=2

thank you for the info mlkost.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."