Thread: Best E-stim unit

Best E-stim unit

My left lower leg is more flacid than my right.
    Haven't lost any tone/size in right leg.

Left leg is going muppet fast.

Would E-stim unit help keep muscles
    in lower left built/stop atrophy?

One leg smaller than the other
    looks really not cool.

Joed

If you don't have atrophic muscles due to denervation then e-stim will do the job for you. A lot of this kind of discussion happens over in the Exercise Forum. Come join us there, too!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff,
    If I have atrophic muscles, What can a person do to build then up some, if anything?
    Mary

LOL I put it in the exercise forum and no one answered! I bought the recommended E-stim unit but am unsure how long/how often I should use it?

Joe

Can you explain what "atrophic muscles due to denervation" means? Also, what kind of unit would you recommend for home use and where is a good place to buy one? I have no other place except this website to go for guidance........
    Originally posted by Jeff:

If you don't have atrophic muscles due to denervation then e-stim will do the job for you. A lot of this kind of discussion happens over in the Exercise Forum. Come join us there, too!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/wavey.gif ~

JENNY,MARY......
    I have had "muscle atrophy" reversed in about 3 months, plus other significant health benefits.

You might wanna check out the topics and comments for the 6000 glider, in the equipment and, exercise forum.

ps. Definitely more affordable then E-stim unit.

every time you fall,
    stand up tall....
    come back for more

E-stim is most successful and safest on muscles that have spastic paralysis vs. flaccid paralysis. This is because the latter is usually caused by damage to the lower motor neuron. While FES may be used to directly stimulate the muscle in the absence of an intact lower motor neuron, often this requires such high electrical impulses that it can burn the skin.

(KLD)

how can I tell if my paralysis is spastic or flaccid? I do have spasms, and they are almost always in response to a "trigger" (working out, for instance).
    Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

E-stim is most successful and safest on muscles that have spastic paralysis vs. flaccid paralysis. This is because the latter is usually caused by damage to the lower motor neuron. While FES may be used to directly stimulate the muscle in the absence of an intact lower motor neuron, often this requires such high electrical impulses that it can burn the skin.

(KLD)