Thread: At 20 years old, the last thing Aaron Baker, of California, wanted to hear was he wou

At 20 years old, the last thing Aaron Baker, of California, wanted to hear was he wou

I've never heard a complete quadriplegic to recover before.

At 20 years old, the last thing Aaron Baker, of California, wanted to hear was he wouldn't be able to feed and bathe himself.

Instead, after being diagnosed as a complete quadriplegic following a spinal cord neck injury, Baker worked with his doctors and physiologist, slowly regaining feeling and movement.
    Eight years later, Baker now is cycling more than 3,000 miles across the southern tier of the nation, raising awareness and funds for spinal cord injury rehabilitation and research.
    He was in Shenandoah Friday, sharing his story at the HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of North Houston.
    "As a recovering quadriplegic, I'm promoting the power of possibility," Baker said.
    Baker began racing dirt bikes when he was only 3. By the time he was racing across the country as an amateur, Baker was winning awards in the sport.
    While showing a video of his "glory days," Baker said, "You see the guy in front, that's me. That's the best place to be."
    Then came the spinal cord neck injury that paralyzed his legs and arms. Before, he'd suffered plenty of broken bones and injuries while racing, but they all healed within several months.
    This time, Baker was told he'd be bedridden forever. He didn't like the diagnosis.
    "Our bodies are meant to move," Baker said.
    He soaked in the information his doctors gave him, he said, and challenged himself every day. Through visualization and continuous trial and error, Baker went from lying in a bed to walking.

more:

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.c...&PAG=461&rfi=9

What an amazing story... Check out some of the vid clips from the ride, unbelievable recovery.

http://riseabovetour.com/blog/?page_id=57

Thats a encouragement for me. Thanks alot for sharing this. Mind over matter!
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo