Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Your Roho Cushion Just Right

Getting Your Roho Cushion Just Right

Any of you Roho air cushion users have tips for keeping the right amount of air in your seat? Not too firm, but not too soft. Mine was apparently too firm May-July and now I'm stuck with weeks of bed-rest to heal a 1-1/4 inch deep wound on my ass.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Wow, that's a shame, I hope it heals OK.
    You should sink down into the cushion, so that your ischials are no more than about 3/4 of an inch from the chair pan. When you're in the chair again, have someone stick their hand under you; they should be able to wiggle their finger up & down just a bit between you and the chair at the lowest part.
    - Richard

Do you have a standing frame? If you get up twice a day for a half hour each, I don't think you need to worry about sores.

Poncho, that is one of the more uninformed things you have posted to date! Just one hour of sitting on an unpadded surface without the right cushion can cause a serious pressure ulcer in people with SCI, regardless of how much they stand.

The Roho is a high maintenance cushion. If you cannot check the inflation every day when you get into the chair, and adjust it as necessary, and are not prepared to adjust it for altitude or even ambient temperature, it is not the right cushion for you.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Poncho, that is one of the more uninformed things you have posted to date! Just one hour of sitting on an unpadded surface without the right cushion can cause a serious pressure ulcer in people with SCI, regardless of how much they stand.

The Roho is a high maintenance cushion. If you cannot check the inflation every day when you get into the chair, and adjust it as necessary, and are not prepared to adjust it for altitude or even ambient temperature, it is not the right cushion for you.

(KLD)
    I disagree on the high maintenance. I've used a Roho for over 20 years and only occasionally have to adjust the air whether it's summer or winter (I can't speak to airplane travel or climbing the Rockies, but have no problem traveling up and down the Blue Ridge here, and I don't spend long periods outdoors in cold weather). If you're having to do it daily or weekly you probably have a leak.
    You do, however, have to get the pressure right, and the method Richard gave has worked well for me. I adjust my seating position once a day back/forth & side to side as needed or just to move it. Otherwise, I have been up as long as 16 hours when I was working, now probably 11 or so with no problems.

1-1/4" deep??? Holy cow. You have to be more vigilant than that. Anyway, sorry about the breakdown, they do suck. Once it heals remember; scar tissue is always weaker than regular healthy tissue and is prone to breakdown again. I use a High Profile Roho and you must be able to sink in the cushion so that you have about 1/2" to 3/4" (or the thickness of your hand) in between your butt and the seat upholstery. When it's hot the cushion expands and becomes hard so let some air out. When it's cold the cushion contracts and is way too soft so you need to inflate the cushion a bit. If you fly and sit on it the pressure differential makes the cushion expand and you must let air out during the flight and reinflate upon landing. Always have a back-up cushion handy.

Wow, sorry about the sore. I check my roho by hand myself, it is tricky to get my hand just right. I used tohave my pt check it once in a while, and would always check it right after her, to get an idea what was right. I find I can tell by the look of the cushion if it is low as well. Too hard is trickier tho.

As far as the heat goes, I don;t see any signifigant difference in areas where I am comfortable sitting, but if it is very cold/hot yes. I was transferring into the car recently, and put the roho on the dash (it was sunny) while I out the rest of the chair in. WHen I moved the roho it was like a balloon. It hadn't been 5 minutes.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Wow, sorry about the sore. I check my roho by hand myself, it is tricky to get my hand just right. I used tohave my pt check it once in a while, and would always check it right after her, to get an idea what was right. I find I can tell by the look of the cushion if it is low as well. Too hard is trickier tho.

As far as the heat goes, I don;t see any signifigant difference in areas where I am comfortable sitting, but if it is very cold/hot yes. I was transferring into the car recently, and put the roho on the dash (it was sunny) while I out the rest of the chair in. WHen I moved the roho it was like a balloon. It hadn't been 5 minutes.
    Try using a plastic sandwich bag over your hand. It took me three years of struggling to get my hand all the way under the user's ischials with latex gloves on before I had that epiphany.

I don't usually have to adjust mine for hot/cold weather, but then I don't leave it exposed to direct sun or extreme cold. The chair is in the house overnight where it's temperate, and the rest of the time I'm sitting on it, so it's shielded from sun and kept at a pretty warm temperature in winter by my buns. Might be different if you were outdoors in pretty cold weather for hours, but I'm too cold natured for that. Extreme heat for hours does me in, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    Try using a plastic sandwich bag over your hand. It took me three years of struggling to get my hand all the way under the user's ischials with latex gloves on before I had that epiphany.
    thanks for the tip! will give it a try.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005