Thread: (spinal tumor )hello guyss..im new here...just wanna ask ur advices..

Unhappy (spinal tumor )hello guyss..im new here...just wanna ask ur advices..

hai everone.im 25yo guy and..im posting from malaysia...i couldnt get any helpful forum besides this...i have learnt so much about sci from this forum since last november...just need ur opinion about my condition
    i was having back pain for the since last oktober..coudnt sleep well for the pst 4-5 months..pain all over the mid back and radiates to the abdomen..went to hospital few times since oktober not until december they found out i had giant cell tumor of the t6..pain was very intensed even painkillers didnt help either..mid december-suddenly i couldnt walk..my doctor told me the tumor already compressed my spinal cord..surgery was palnned for end of dec..my doctor told 50-50 chances i would be paralysed after the surgery..they never encountered this kind of tumor as it was indeed a very rare kind of benign tumor.. so,i went to another hospital for 2nd opinion and the doctor there told me he had indeed encounterd this kind of situation about 5 years back....so i agreed to undergo surgery at that hospital..which was in 6 jan 2009..
    they did laminectomy on the t5-t6...total vertebrectomy of the t6...i had about 8 screws on my back together with 2 rods and 1 cross connector..
    the surgery took about 10 hrs...and it went well.i was discharged 10 days after the surgey....
    what i want to know is , are those screws and rods gonne be there(back) forever?cos i met my doctor yesterday and told me i have to be careful because the screws and rods,they might come off oneday..
    and one more thing that bother me is..after they removed my t6...they didnt put anything to replace it such as bone graft or cages... basically they just stabilize the posterior part and leave empty the anterior part ...his it possible the for the t5 and t7 to fused together eventhough there is nothing bone graft placed between t5-t7?plzz help....i am really worried and confused...

Quote Originally Posted by minn View Post
    hai everone.im 25yo guy and..im posting from malaysia... one more thing that bother me is..after they removed my t6...they didnt put anything to replace it such as bone graft or cages... basically they just stabilize the posterior part and leave empty the anterior part ...his it possible the for the t5 and t7 to fused together eventhough there is nothing bone graft placed between t5-t7?
    Wow, that was a tough row to hoe... Were you able to walk again after the decompression? My spinal disease was different, so I haven't any advice. But you might check out this discussion: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/up...-vertebrectomy
    I hope someone here who's knowledgeable can answer your question about the lack of caging. Good luck! - fw

I dont know the answer to your questions but there is a community of people on the web like you at www.spinalcordtumor.org. Post there and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by minn View Post
    hai everone.im 25yo guy and..im posting from malaysia...i couldnt get any helpful forum besides this...i have learnt so much about sci from this forum since last november...just need ur opinion about my condition
    i was having back pain for the since last oktober..coudnt sleep well for the pst 4-5 months..pain all over the mid back and radiates to the abdomen..went to hospital few times since oktober not until december they found out i had giant cell tumor of the t6..pain was very intensed even painkillers didnt help either..mid december-suddenly i couldnt walk..my doctor told me the tumor already compressed my spinal cord..surgery was palnned for end of dec..my doctor told 50-50 chances i would be paralysed after the surgery..they never encountered this kind of tumor as it was indeed a very rare kind of benign tumor.. so,i went to another hospital for 2nd opinion and the doctor there told me he had indeed encounterd this kind of situation about 5 years back....so i agreed to undergo surgery at that hospital..which was in 6 jan 2009..
    they did laminectomy on the t5-t6...total vertebrectomy of the t6...i had about 8 screws on my back together with 2 rods and 1 cross connector..
    the surgery took about 10 hrs...and it went well.i was discharged 10 days after the surgey....
    what i want to know is , are those screws and rods gonne be there(back) forever?cos i met my doctor yesterday and told me i have to be careful because the screws and rods,they might come off oneday..
    and one more thing that bother me is..after they removed my t6...they didnt put anything to replace it such as bone graft or cages... basically they just stabilize the posterior part and leave empty the anterior part ...his it possible the for the t5 and t7 to fused together eventhough there is nothing bone graft placed between t5-t7?plzz help....i am really worried and confused...
    minn,

Doctors usually leave the screws and rods in unless there is some reason to remove them. A giant cell tumor rarely involve the spine but is one of the most common tumors of fingers. There about a 20% chance of recurrence for hands. I don't know what it is for the spine.

If I were you, I would probably not worry about the screws and rods for the time being. Just hope that the giant cell tumor does not recur. Do pay attention to your doctor's advice about not over-stressing your spine too much.

Wise.