Thread: Pain from sitting in chairs

Pain from sitting in chairs

I have tried different cushions, I have tried different chair configurations, I have tried different backs.

Oh, and my WC is better than anything other than a Zero gravity recliner.

But after 1.5 hours in my chair, the pain in my pelvic region down through my thighs is to the level where I can't concentrate.

After 2.5 hours (all of this is including pressure reliefs and getting on the floor and doing stretching exercises, which greatly extend seating time) it is too much. It is either pain killer time or switching seating time.

After 3.5 hours, pain killers don't cut it. I'm out of my chair and out of commission for an hour recovering.

The best so far is a combination of a Ride R1 (off the shelf) cushion with the Ride corbak back. A pad for hypersensitivity used for MS patients is now stuck inside the cover for the R1 cushion.

The hyper sensitivity pad for MS patients made these times possible. Before, they were about 75% each stage.

My physiatrist, who has had answers for (nearly) everything else, has no ideas. My physical Therapist has no more ideas about it (the MS pad was the last).

Is anyone else suffering anything like this? Anyone have ideas that I can try?

Yes, I realize that many (most) of the posters in this forum have it worse than me, but I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks,
    -- JB

Just a guess: Are you smashing your sciatic nerve while you sit? My ability to sit for durations somewhat mirrors your situation. Two things that have worked for me over the last 3 years: 1) Exercising that has put on traces of the muscle and fat I had previously on my posterior, and 2) Steroid shot into my sciatic nerve.

Have you tried the steriod shot?

I have not tried the steroid shot there though I have had a couple at L1/L2.

My Physical Therapist check and rechecked my seating a few times, including pressure mapping and checking my skin for tell-tale signs.

Come to think of it, my Physiatrist had suggested that I try a shot in my sciatic nerve the next time I went in for shots, but I haven't needed those yet.

-- JB

Can you describe the pain? Is it pins-and-needles, burning, aching, stabbing, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Can you describe the pain? Is it pins-and-needles, burning, aching, stabbing, etc.?
    It isn't pins-and needles or stabbing. Only a little like burning, so I'm going to go with aching. Stabbing pains are just below my right knee. -- JB

I seem to have the same dilemma. After about two hours in my Quickie P 200 it is time to get out of the chair due to pain. The chair is 10 years old and there are no modifications left to do. I need to get a new powered chair soon (after demoing some models) and I hope this resolves the issue. In the meantime, I require ROM (range of motion) frequently to decrease the pain. I also transfer out of the wheelchair and into a padded type of office chair which rotates and tilts back like a rocking chair and this is better than sitting in the Quickie I wish I had a better answer but I don't.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Thanks anyways. I didn't expect any more, but I hoped. -- JB

Justin: I don't want to kill your hope. I am still hoping that a new chair will help with my pain problems. Most people who are not in wheelchairs need to get up and stretch after sitting for a couple of hours. I think the body for some just cries out in pain from the lack of movement. My muscles just seem to get tighter the longer I sit, and pain medication doesn't help anymore. Moving around as much as possible does help to decrease the pain. If things get bad, then I take Valium, which helps to relax the muscles along with providing some pain relief. Good luck.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I would second PN. I have a similar pain down my right side and stretching orROM does help for me. I stretch out several times a day just to keep the joints and muscles moving freely. As for the location, in the hip and down to the front of the leg(knee), i would expect that to be more a part of the femoral nerve (Infrapatellar branch of the Saphenous Nerve). The saphenous nerve is a branch of the femoral nerve that runs down the medial (inner) side of the thigh and surround the patellacoming from below the knee.

Try transfering a bit more frequently to a different position and stretching to see if this helps..

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB
    I have not tried the steroid shot there though I have had a couple at L1/L2.
    Never know till you try... Although you'll of course have to be careful of additional steroid shots as you already have steroids in your body.