Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance quote?

Exclamation Insurance quote?

I had an accident in 2003 it wasnt my fault ,8 days later another stolen van hit my car from behind and drove off,not my fault again,if i m asking for insurance quote do i have to tell them about these accidents happend.if yes i get high insurance i checked with and without accidents, plz help thnx in advance
    Last edited by agent; 07-29-2007 at 06:53 AM.

My understanding it does not matter who is at fault, any accident, your premiums go up.
    Mine was not my fault and yet our ins. went up slightly, for both vans it is less than $120 a month. Ours will be going back down I believe @ the 3 year mark.
    Everyone I know that has been in an accident whether fault or not the ins. goes up.
    "I've got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

If the accidents were reported on your insurance, you wont have to tell them they will know anyway. When you have an accident you get insurance points just like you do against your license for moving violations. They run a risk report on you when you get insurance to find out what premium you pay.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Auto Insurance

Who are you insured with? Most insurers won't penalize you if the accident isn't your fault. Even if the accident is your fault, most insurers overlook anything under $800 in damages or if its the first accident with the company.

If I were you, I would try Progressive. They come to you when their is a accident and cut a check on the spot. I have been with them for years and I pay ony $420/year for a Monte Carlo (no collision coverage).

Agent

I'm an insurance agent. And they will run an MVR on you and it will pull up all incidents such as accidents and tickets. Not at fault accident wont count against you when are are already insured with the company. But a lot of the companies such as the one I work for count it against you when you apply for insurance but not if you already have insurance with us.

As far as picking an insurance company, shop around. All companies uses different criterias. Like one company might be cheaper in one area and more exspensive an another area. Some companies have much lower rates for people with good credit and others might not use that at all or put less of a discount for that. As far as progressive goes the one thing I don't like about them is they run your MVR every year to see if you had any incidents and some companies never run them unless you had a claim, so you could have several tickets and never get charged for them.

Before people invest a great deal of time answering directly to Agent, I just want to point out that Agent has not visited the site since posting this message. Agent's "home page" is an insurance information site. Although the registration and pattern of activity suggest that Agent is a person rather than a spambot, I am not sure that he/she is returning to see what has been posted.

On the other hand, I thought the question is a reasonable one. Clearly, however, no insurance company worth its salt would go ahead to insure somebody without checking on the previous record of the person. I have several questions. How good are the records? How many years does it go back? If you had an accident but you did not report it to your insurance company (although the other person might have reported it), does it show up on your record? Is there a way that one can see one's insurance record?

Wise.

I've always gone by the rule that if there is any record of the accident...police report, local authority involvement (you hit a lamp-post etc) or anyone else involved then you need to confess on your next application because they WILL find out.

Minor accidents with no-one else involved where you paid for repairs yourself - say, crashing into your own wall while turning into your driveway - they don't need to know about and they won't find out.

When I was a journalist I once had an insurer casually ask my profession and then say, in an excited voice: 'Ooh. That will affect your premium'.

I demanded to know exactly why and he didn't know, said he would come back to me.

When he called back he triumphantly said: "Because you might have famous people in your car!"

I was 19 and working on a provincial newspaper in a town of 20,000 people. The most famous person I interviewed while working there was a local celebrity called 'Blaster Bates' famous for being a demolition expert in his youth and a risque after dinner speaker in retirement.

I didn't have to pay extra.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Ahhhh now the advertisement appears........you were right wise!!!

You can order your own MVR but I cant remember how I got mine. It includes home insurance as well as all other types...
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Before people invest a great deal of time answering directly to Agent, I just want to point out that Agent has not visited the site since posting this message. Agent's "home page" is an insurance information site. Although the registration and pattern of activity suggest that Agent is a person rather than a spambot, I am not sure that he/she is returning to see what has been posted.

On the other hand, I thought the question is a reasonable one. Clearly, however, no insurance company worth its salt would go ahead to insure somebody without checking on the previous record of the person. I have several questions. How good are the records? How many years does it go back? If you had an accident but you did not report it to your insurance company (although the other person might have reported it), does it show up on your record? Is there a way that one can see one's insurance record?

Wise.
    Wise

How far back do they check on your driving record? Depends on the company. Most go back three years and some will go back five years depending on the reason. Some companies give you a bigger discount if your clean in five. And some companies will go back five years if your from out of the country.

How accurate is the driving report? Pretty accurate. Insurance companies get your driving records from two places. MVR (Motor Vehicle Dept.) and the LIS report (I forgot what lis stand for) Now the LIS is where most insurance companies report to when they pay a claim and not all insurance companies belong to this organization but most do. This is why if you had collected on a claim without a police report we still know about it. The one thing I can warn you about is how some agents and even a few companies will use this. Some agents will only run an LIS report on you then sign you up and later run the MVR. Then your in shocked on why your premium jumped up. Then you call them on it and they'll tell you thats what you told them at the time that you were clean of those incidents, and they will ask you that question. But the problem is most people lie or just forgot about the incident. I have had hundreds of people tell they were sure they were clean and then I run the MVR and they have sometimes many tickets. I personally always run the MVR before signing anybody its not worth the aggravation.

Can you check your insurance records? Yes, you can get a copy of your MVR from your local Motor Vehicle Dept. online. And you can get your Insurance Financial stabitily score from one of the credit bureau's.

The one thing I can tell you is that your Insurance score means a lot to your premium. So if you have bad credit go to a company that does not factor it in. And I wasn't directing that question at you.

Rainman is right. I handled the insurance for the company I worked for and my personal policies were with the same company. They had five years of history on all my drivers (trucking co) and anyone else in the company who might drive any of the vehicles. Fault does'nt matter in an accident, both parties are reported. Even if an accident isn't your fault, some companies require you to report an incident if money was received for repairs over a certain dollar amount. Dealing with prof. drivers, they could have tickets that needed an explanation regarding equipment and or overloads.

One thing I disagree on is the credit report, I've known good people in a bind (for example: medical bills), pay their insurance on time and are still penalized.