Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advanced wheelchair rehab/training?

advanced wheelchair rehab/training?

Hi!
    I am coming up on 6 years post, T6 Comp. My first wheelchair was not properly measured or setup for me. On the positive side, this forum and those negatives add up to me now knowing my chair, and wheelchairs in general, much better. I am going to be getting a new chair soon, and while trying different types, I found that I should be capable of far more than I ever imagined. With my current chair, until I got it setup even close to being useable, I never thought I would get much more "able." I have seen others out and about in my city (Portland, Oregon), and always felt a tinge of jealousy when I would see them simply hop off- or on- a curb, out of a bus or train wothout a ramp, wheelies and a quick 180, etc. The one demo I tried made me feel I could do some of those tings. So I asked, and have found out- sorry, no. For those like me on Medicaid, there are no "advanced wheelchair technique" programs.

I have my SO that is MORE than willing to do whatever it takes ot help me become more able to use my chair. But, we have no idea what techniques to use, or what order to do things in. I have always had my tippers on, and currently they are at the highest setting (about 4.25" from floor to bottom of tipper wheel).

Are there any videos, books, etc that would be a good place to start? Tips? Instructional material? I am so ignorant on these things, and my intial rehab was horrible, and to top it off, I was in a full body brace and neck brace at the time, with multiple broken ribs (both sides, front and back) trying to mend, extreme body muscle loss, etc. I am in really good shape now, could lose a few lbs, but really want to be able to hop off curbs, get better at wheelies, etc. Heck, there are probably a WHOLE bunch of techniques and things I haven't seen or thought of!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx!!!
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Practice doing wheelstands until you can hold one indefinitely then push around in circles while doing one.

check out crip college he's got a lot of videos and instructional techniques for some of the stuff you are wanting to do...He's also got some stunt stuff on there that you can try once you're more comfortable with your increased abilities...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Blog Entries
    http://www.cripcollege.com/tricks.html

This guy has some useful tricks posted. I have used #9 many times around here.
    Just practice whatever you try. It always gets easier with practice.
    I got my chair from a dme on ebay for 999bucks brand spanking new, setup to my specs. He can be emailed also. His dealership is near Colours headquarters in Ca.

HAHA just saw I posted the same thing you did BW, I was searching for his website for a few while I had the reply box up. WelP, you know what they say...
    Great minds think alike
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 07-29-2007 at 01:06 PM.

Wheeling forward on two wheels is pretty straightforward once you get practice. DON'T TRY TO WHEEL BACKWARDS ON TWO WHEELS unless you wearing a helmet.

Wheeling forwards, you freak out, grab your wheels, and your front wheels slam down. Everthing is fine.

Wheeling backwards, you freak out, grab your wheels, and your head slams down. Everything looks like ceiling or sky.

--JB

Wheelchair setup:
    You are in Portland, you probably had Care medical deliver your chair.

My chair was .... err... messed up on delivery. The COG was so far forward (Ti-Lite ZRA) that the balance point put my front wheels up to about 45 degrees. I had to push like Hulk Hogan to pop a wheelie.

Right now, my chair is set up that balance point without leaning puts my front wheels about 5 inches off the ground. For curbs, I have to lean forward a bit so the wheels come up more.

I recommend starting off somewhere in the middle of these if your chair has an adjustable COG. Then start off with just balancing on two wheels. Scary to start, pretty easy after just a bit of practice.

Oh, and the higher end wheels (spinnergy (sp?)) are supposed to stand up to abuse better than the many spoked wheels. Going off a curb is tough on wheels.

Wear gloves when you start screwing around. Every once in a while, you are going to freak and push or pull on your wheels as hard as you can. It will be easier on your hands with gloves.

Last:
    When you get used to wheeling around with your front wheels in the air, you think it is easy. Then you come up on your first steep slope that is going from one level to another, say 4 inches down.... Looks easy. Say, going from the sidewalk to the stalls at Saturday market.

Don't hurt your thumbs as you freak out grabbing at the rims (experience)

-- JB

You might find reviewing the basic skills in the video clips at Dalhousie's Wheelchair Skills website useful as well. Nothing about chair setup, just basic wheelchair maneuvers.

Hi!
    Thx for all the replies, helps ALOT!
    Seeing others do things definitely makes it easier to grasp what they try to explain.

It's so funny...I wasnt into the common extreme sports, but raced motorcycles (crotch rockets, the 1000cc class stuff), was into martial arts most of my life with firearms and SWAT/Police/military type training/disciplines included as well. Always fit, and then this. Not having a wheelchair setup right, or even close, and having one that is heavy...well..never thought I would have the ability to do certain things. Just getting around would wear me out quickly, and I even tried something that went against my better judgement to try and build up my upper body more to be able to get around better. And then I found this forum, browsed for days, posted, and discovered how to setup my own chair, and when that still came up short, demo'd a TiLite ZRA and found a whole new world.

And now with this, I am soooooo scared. I thought I would have tippers on for life, and would have to stop, flip 'em, do whatever, then re-flip 'em every time. For those without tippers, do you still flip over backward? I am so afraid of cracking my skull, or incurring a new injury, but this time higher. T6 Complete I can handle, for the most part. Quad complete- no way. I guess it could easily be argued that the chances of a new injury like that are just as great from anything else I do...but, I figure anything I can do to reduce risk is good, within reason. The big question: is just learning to live with tippers for life a trade-off that is worth it?

Thx again, this is a bunch to work with now!
    nikki
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Blog Entries
    I took my anti-tips off before I rode my chair. You can't do wheelies, jump curbs, etc., WITH them. Go with a 'heavier' front end at first til u get used to riding w/o them. Then as your confidence increases in the chair, make the front end'lighter' or tippier(cog forward).
    I would get high centered outside IF I used them. A girl got stuck outside the front door at TIRR in rehab, day ONE, first 2 seconds on the grass. THAT was what made me decide that when I got my own chair, there would be no anti-tips. I rode that quickie2 for 11 years. I went over backwards one time, my first 'visit' home from rehab. The ramp slipped off the blocks and I cracked my noggin. I tipped over backwards the second and last time about year one and a half. Rolling backwards down my sidewalk at home talking to a buddy. Never flipped backwards again. I started using my head for things OTHER than a bumper.
    Practice your wheelies while watching tv, your mind/body learn to coop without so much concentration from you. If you can ever get a handcycle, there is your way to fitness and fun.

Thx Capn!
    I have flipped once with them turned up (at a nightclub no less!). Was hysterical, no injuries, and had plenty to lift me right back into my chair. Concrete mistakes are my worry, and I am so afraid that even after years of rolling, I will have that day I screw up. I guess it is like anything in life: realize you WILL fall down, so learn HOW to fall now, and practice it. That way when you do, hopefully habit will intercept panic...HOPEFULLY..lol...

My big problem is finding the right place and people to help me learn to "fall" and recover and such then I think. When I got into motorcycle racing, they told me the very first day: You wil crash, it is just a matter of when, and how you react when you do, and how you react AS it is happening. Unfortunately, practicing to crash on a race bike is not something one can really do hehehe! OK, at least not inexpensively and without risk of SERIOUS injury.

Any tips for those times you feel you are losing it? I really liked the one tip about filling something like a backpack with very light, fluffy stuff, and go to town. That way, f (when!) you flip, you have something to prevent your melon from getting close to the cement/pavement. I am guessing a helmet might not be a bad idea either...

I have my COG at about 3.75" on my A4 right now, and can tip pretty easily, but I have not ever flipped back by accident when sitting still and spasming. I can balance very easily, and even spin around while in a wheelie. Hoppin off curbs will have ot be next I fear (might be the problem? ), and I guess I will simply start small, and stay with that til I am 100% comfy with that height.
    nikki