Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: your favorite bread

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    which is your favorite bread?
    morning bread.
    Last edited by Leif; 08-03-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Sesame Wheat Bread

I rounded up the Bosch Kitchen Center and a few pyrex bread pans this morning and made my first bread in almost a year.

It was mostly a success; I forgot to crack the toasted wheat berrries I added but, having soaked them fro about a half hour, they weren't too rough on the chompers. I did get a good rise out of the loaves and baked them to perfection with just one bottom-thumping test near the end of the baking period.

Now I'll have fresh home-baked bread to go with my coffee for the next 5 - 7 days.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I rounded up the Bosch Kitchen Center and a few pyrex bread pans this morning and made my first bread in almost a year.

It was mostly a success; I forgot to crack the toasted wheat berrries I added but, having soaked them fro about a half hour, they weren't too rough on the chompers. I did get a good rise out of the loaves and baked them to perfection with just one bottom-thumping test near the end of the baking period.

Now I'll have fresh home-baked bread to go with my coffee for the next 5 - 7 days.
    We want pictures!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MioaraD
    We want pictures!!!!
    There's less than half left of the 2nd loaf. Besides, if I don't even have an avatar pic of myself up do you think I'm gonna post a pic of my bread.

Wouldn't you know, when I checked my mail last night the dough conditioner I ordered from eBay showed up - a day late. Now I've got incentive to whip up some more whole wheat dough incorporating the dough conditioner. I read where you can get much fluffier WW bread by using DC and doing a slow third rise overnight in the fridge.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin

And ya even toasted the wheat berries, that made those babies crunch like the dickens but with flavor too. Do you find the bread bakes quicker or may even burn in a pyrex pan vs metal?

Pam

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Princess "Leia"
    And ya even toasted the wheat berries, that made those babies crunch like the dickens but with flavor too. Do you find the bread bakes quicker or may even burn in a pyrex pan vs metal?

Pam
    It's been so long since I've used metal or anything but pyrex it's a little hard to say. My impression is that the bread browns more evenly in glass than in metal. I'd like to see how the new silicone pans would brown but just can't quite justify the outlay to find out while I have perfectly good pans onhand.

I'm down to the lost half dozen or so slices of the loaves I made and still look forward to sandwiches or toast made of it.

I did some Googling for recipies and would like to experiment with all sprout bread as I've got the wheat berries to make two or more loaves. Sprouting the wheat brings about enzymatic sweetening of its starches and you work the hydrated sprouted berries into a pasty dough after which yeast is optional. It should make a real pure, healthy and tasty bread but I think you need to keep loaf size down or wind up with a very dense texture.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Wry bread. I like a touch of irony with my carbs...

My likes in breads must include whole wheat brown bread, French bread and garlic bread but yeah there would be nothing like freshly baked bread at home like Juke spin’s.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dedicated Hosting