Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Colours Razorbalade Pics ADDED SHOX PIC

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Mg really gives no advantage. Yes it's light, and strong, but really stiff, and a PAIN to weld.
    The fatigue properties aren't well known in larger applications either.

Ti is the wonder metal. Strength of steel, flex of steel, but overall weight of Al. I say overall weight, cause it is heavier, but due to less neecd material, it is even.
    So you don't think that potentially shaving off as much as 5 lbs. from the frame weight of a chair is a worthwhile advantage? I know nothing about engineering, but I can't imagine that the difference in stiffness between Mg and Ti (or Al) would be that discernible or that it couldn't be compensated for in the design of the chair.

is mg brittle? i know its stiffer, but if theres a 'shatter-factor', that would be a prob. like cf, which is really strong unless you crash into something, in which case it shatters like glass... lasher uses 1.3" tubing for its mg frame, which i think looks a bit like a childs drawing. so i dont really get the lasher appeal - but then, im finding it hard enough to transition from my 3/4 tubing to my new, light but less elegant 1". rgk and da vinci both make ti chaires with 3/4" tubing, that are lighter than the lasher mg w/ 1.3" tubing. they look cooler too...

Quote Originally Posted by amyk
    is mg brittle? i know its stiffer, but if theres a 'shatter-factor', that would be a prob. like cf, which is really strong unless you crash into something, in which case it shatters like glass... lasher uses 1.3" tubing for its mg frame, which i think looks a bit like a childs drawing. so i dont really get the lasher appeal - but then, im finding it hard enough to transition from my 3/4 tubing to my new, light but less elegant 1". rgk and da vinci both make ti chaires with 3/4" tubing, that are lighter than the lasher mg w/ 1.3" tubing. they look cooler too...
    The tube frame on my TiLite ZRc is about 1.25" thick which for me is more comfortable to grip (for example when bending forward and holding on with one hand) than a 3/4" thick pencil stick frame.

oh see thats pretty much exactly why i keep fumbling my tr tubing - but maybe im just to little. the 3/4" (actually it was 19mm, rough equiv) was always right there for me to wrap my fingers around when i wasnt paying attention. the 1" isnt too bad, but 1.3 would have me cartwheeling out of my chair! actually, that might be cool... i think id probably have to wear a bike helmet, and those things are just hard to accessorize.

the kuschall frames come in carbon - or at least my ill advised champion could have, but i optioned against, because based on all i did to my previous chair, i didnt think it a good idea.

Heh...I actually like the look of thicker tubings on the lasher chairs. Plus its easier to grip for me too.

How thick are the tubings on the Colours Razorblade?
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

oh see thats pretty much exactly why i keep fumbling my tr tubing - but maybe im just to little. the 3/4" (actually it was 19mm, rough equiv) was always right there for me to wrap my fingers around when i wasnt paying attention. the 1" isnt too bad, but 1.3 would have me cartwheeling out of my chair! actually, that might be cool... i think id probably have to wear a bike helmet, and those things are just hard to accessorize.

the kuschall frames come in carbon - or at least my ill advised champion could have, but i optioned against, because based on all i did to my previous chair, i didnt think it a good idea.
    I am a 3/4" fan too, my Terminator Ti is all made out of it. Don't like the Lasher either.

K├╝schall don't have CF frames, the only parts that you can get made of CF is the camber bar and the side guards if I remember well.
    Last edited by JGNI; 08-03-2007 at 10:22 PM.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Mg and Al are the same in that respect, infact Ti does to i beleive. Okay, they don't shatter, it's more of a catastrophic failure..... They don't bend, they just break basically

Wow...always love to hear people's likes n dislikes!

I prefer the thicker tubing, which was one reason for the ZRA choice. On top of that, I am going to be wrapping from just under the seat upholstery, around the bend, and down a ways with some overwrap or overgrip tennis raquet stuff. Thin, not sticky on the outside (if you dont want), bunch of colors to choose from, thin, and since I do not like the unpolished look of titanium, it will hide it while giving me some good gripping area. My A4 has this foam/neoprene wrap at the bend/joint area, and I have gotten used to the grippable curve for transfers and stuff. Got my purple Mako HR tires today, so I need to pick a color for the overwrap.... Meanwhile, I will just sit here jealous of the other new chair threads and wait...and wait...
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Quote Originally Posted by nikki-k
    Meanwhile, I will just sit here jealous of the other new chair threads and wait...and wait...
    Speaking from my own experience, you shouldn't have to wait much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    Speaking from my own experience, you shouldn't have to wait much longer.
    How long does it usually take for a ZR then?
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo