Thread: have lift and van....question

have lift and van....question

Hi all, I am new. I have a 1993 ford econoline conversion van. I recently acquired a Crow River lift. Its entire hight is 51 inches. I would like to install in the van however, I dont want to cut out the doors of the van and was wondering if it was possible to install the lift without all that extra work.

It seems everytime we try to make life easier there is this huge (expensive)time consuming, roadblock. We got the van for a steal and repaired it ourselves. We got the lift for a fair price and could use for something else. We still havent gotten my 85 year old mother, who is unable to walk, out of the house since April. We are ready to use a piece of plywood and push her up into the van. I am a little leary on the safety of that approach. I think the prices of adaptive devices are uncontionalbe (sp).

Disabled transportation in my area is very unreliable and unaccomodating to our work schedule. They dont run evenings, weekends and dont cross county lines. Well, alot of good that does us since we work full time and are right over the county line.

We had a GMC 1995 with a ricon lift. I am thinking that this is similar to what you have. It was a conversion van also. The doors were not cut out or raised up. When my husband got in, he had to duck his head a little when in a manual chair. He is 6ft tall. Your mom may not be very tall. You need to measure her height when sitting in her chair and measure the lift also and see if it will fit in the space you have and go from there.

I have a Crow River split platform lift that just barely fits in my 2005 Econoline 350. The entire platform length is 48" I don't believe the 51" lift would fit. Was it last installed in a dropped floor or raised roof van?

If the 51" lift won't fit you may want to contact some of the mobility companies in your state to see if they have some used lifts that would fit. They may be willing to trade you even if they get the installation job.

Hi,

Is it the single post lift? I have had two of them in Ford vans without
    raised roof or lowered floors. The upper post/mount that goes above
    the main unit is higher than the lift platform, and on mine, it was
    adjustable for different heights.

This is what I had:

Quote Originally Posted by jackiemooch
    Hi all, I am new. I have a 1993 ford econoline conversion van. I recently acquired a Crow River lift. Its entire hight is 51 inches. I would like to install in the van however, I dont want to cut out the doors of the van and was wondering if it was possible to install the lift without all that extra work.
    Last edited by Rononwheels; 08-02-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Another option is folding ramps. I used them for several months before I got my lift. Here are a couple web sites that will give you an idea of price, and styles. As long as someone will always be with your Grandmother, it would be the easiest way to go.
    I know whet you mean about medical equipment; as soon as it becomes medical the price goes way up. Good Luck!

http://www.discount-wheelchair-ramps...FRCiQQodlloMrg

http://www.spinlife.com/category.cfm...FRJxxwodrjj-qw

http://www.planetmobility.com/store/ramps/index.htm
    Mike