Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP Surgery next week, need advice/suggestions

SP Surgery next week, need advice/suggestions

I have a large bladder stone and after 34+ years of catheter use my urethra is eroding...so SP surgery is scheduled for early next week.

I would really appreciate you sharing:
    how to prepare
    suggestions
    do's and don'ts
    what to expect
    what helps or hinders recovery and/or surgery, etc.

No horror stories please, I am already puffy eyed and feeling trepidation about another surgery.

Thank you!
    T-4 complete since 1973

Hi greta,

One of the advantagaes of the sp tube is that it prevents trauma to the urethra (which is why yours is being put in) and that it can free the genetalia of a catheter in that area. There are many threads about this if you do a carecure search of "suprapubic tube insertion."

Here is one:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=7096

It is a usually a minor procedure, with people coming home the same day-not sure if it is ever an office procedure. Most are done with a stab wound but more complicated approach may be used. You cannot shower for a few weeks but need to clean it daily and do general care of the site.

The biggest nuisance I've seen is that occasionally there is leakage from the urethra, which usually lessens over time. There are many ways to deal with this that, if it occurs, can be discussed with your urologist.

Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

AAD

Thanks AAD.

I've been searching and learned several things. One thing I have yet to find is if you can still sleep on your stomach with a SP catheter. Can you?

Any helpful SP info is welcome, I may not find it all in my searches.

Thanks.
    T-4 complete since 1973

Hi greta, getting a sp cath is a piece of cake. Mine was done in the office in about 10 mins.. I'm sure by now you've read lots of replies. To answer your question, imo, you should be fine in prone if you are correctly bridging your pressure points. Will someone be able to spot-check it after you turn? I'd be super careful tho' when turning as you could pull the balloon loose. Consult your urologist on this bc I'm kinda' iffy on it.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Thanks 2jazzyjeff, my hubby can do a spot check. After what I have read here, I know I will pay real close attention to taping/securing that tube to avoid a pull out.

Learning that your SP was a 10 minute office "piece of cake", made my day!
    T-4 complete since 1973

After 29 years post-injury wearing an external catheter, I consulted this forum about an SP tube. I received several helpful and positive replies and only a few negative. It will be one year since I had my SP inserted in the office and I've never regretted it. I wear a Bard brand silicone-coated latex 20 Fr. with the short tip and small bulb because it is softer than the full silicone. My brother changes it every 6 weeks and it takes no longer than 20 minutes start to finish. It probably saved my kidneys and evidence seems to indicate my bladder is no longer fifteen-hundred CC capacity. I clean the area with soap and water and apply just a tiny dab of triple-A that seems to protect the cistostomy as well as providing lubrication for it to slide in and out...as you sit up or lay down. I don't wear any bandage at the hole and shower same as I always did with no problems. Not one UTI since the installation one year ago. That is a record for me. I used to have at least one a year with the external.
    I hope all goes well.

RnR

Thanks RnR, I remember reading about your quest for a comfortable SP catheter instead of the "hose". You illuminated more catheter options than I knew existed! I'm glad you not only found what worked for you, but shared it as well.

In your quest, did you find most people get along best with what you are using, or is it highly individualized?
    T-4 complete since 1973

greta, i've had my SP for about 5 yrs now. i lay on my stomach all the time. just be sure it don't pull when you roll over an stuff.

i echo all the above its great no problem proning.its freedom to drink as much as you want. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    Hi greta, getting a sp cath is a piece of cake. Mine was done in the office in about 10 mins.. I'm sure by now you've read lots of replies. To answer your question, imo, you should be fine in prone if you are correctly bridging your pressure points. Will someone be able to spot-check it after you turn? I'd be super careful tho' when turning as you could pull the balloon loose. Consult your urologist on this bc I'm kinda' iffy on it.

Mine was done in the office in about 10 mins.. are you sure we are talking about a SP operation here, it takes me that long to catherize.