Thread: Chairs over sliding door tracks

Blog Entries

Chairs over sliding door tracks

Does anyone know if it damages sliding door tracks to go in and out in a chair? Is there a different answer for manual vs power chairs?. My lightweight powerchair and I weigh probably 180-190 together, my manual chair and I probably 130 or140, and Dad’s afraid I’ll bend/damage the tracks.

Random,

They are called threshold ramps, many different types online. Here is one site.

www.rampsolutions.net/pvi-threshold-ramps.html

My manual chair goes over them fine. I have been going over them for years and no prob. Don't know about the power chair though.

The tracks in my house are just fine. It is the floor around the tracks that I have damaged. The slight jossle to the tracks from my chair has damaged the ceramic tiles.

I have a sliding door at my house and I have been using it for 3 years haven't noticed any problems. My grandma has MS and was in a chair & my uncle a SCI and they both had sliding doors in their houses. From our experience it has never been a problem.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    My PC with me in it weighs 530 pounds and I drive over the sliding door tracks all the time with no problem. I do have a short rubber ramp on one side though. Makes it easier to roll up to.
    My tracks stick up about 1 3/4 inches because they are screwed to the concrete floor of a garage that I remodeled into an accessible cabin.
    Try these threshold ramps, they are about $32. www.allelectricscooters.com click scooter ramps, then click threshold ramps
    Good luck.

MAC
    Last edited by forestranger52; 07-25-2007 at 07:38 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Been going in and out of a slider for over 16 years, in a manuel chair. No damage to report. My biggest fear was the tracks would puncture the tires, somehow. But that's never happened.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

We use a threshold ramp on both sides...otherwise the EZ-Lock pin catches on the track.

(KLD)

Random-

I enter through the sliding doors everytime I enter my home. It's the only way in. We have numerous doors but non have a ramp.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's also a fire hazard to myself. If that way was ever blocked I would have to throw myself and chair down some steps to get out.

Anyway, I never had a problem rolling over the threshold and I'm in a manual chair and weigh about 210 with the chair weight included.

SoFla- Your threshold is moving because the whole door frame unit is not properly anchored to the floor. I'd get some holes drilled through the aluminum and get some 3" galvanized deck screws and get it tight to the floor plate before more damge occurs.

Eddie

Blog Entries
    Rode both manual an power chairs over the tracks at the old house for years withno problems. Even the bounder plus didn't phase them and it weighs 450lbs itself.