Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing topic

Embarrassing topic

Does anyone have issues with passing gas more often with SCI? What do you do for it or is there anything that you can do?

Unfortunately, the gas will escape at times we don't want to, but you might be able to reduce the amount you produce. You can adjust what you're eating, and you can also try taking Bean-O with meals that might cause more gas. Certain foods cause more gas in some people, and keep in mind that, the smelly gas is usually created by meats and stuff while gas that has little or no odor is created by vegetables. My gas usually doesn't smell, unless I need to use the bathroom soon. In fact, if it smells really bad, that has been a warning to me to get to the bathroom as soon as possible.

Hi,
    Agree with above and many peopel sufferw ith it. It could also be contributing that you are not as active as some AB. I would identify what foods cause it for you, avoid htem and people feel that bean-o does work.

AAD

For me I think the problem is caused by the reduced speed of the feces passing through the colon. Although this is somewhat age related, I think that the problem is increased by SCI. A high fibre diet along with Metamucil helps me.
    mike

This is one place, you have nothing to be embarrassed about, but I do know what you mean.
    Dave H

Quote Originally Posted by exqusit1
    Does anyone have issues with passing gas more often with SCI? What do you do for it or is there anything that you can do?
    Sigh. Yeah, it's common. There's a huge thread called "Farted" in the Life forum if you ever feel so embarrassed you're afraid to leave the house. It's even more embarrassing for females, so at least take comfort in being male!

i agree with the above!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Are there any filter type pads/underwear that help mask the odor?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Sigh. Yeah, it's common. There's a huge thread called "Farted" in the Life forum if you ever feel so embarrassed you're afraid to leave the house. It's even more embarrassing for females, so at least take comfort in being male!
    Yeah thats a great thread. lol

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=55495

JimmyMack
    JimmyMack
    Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    Are there any filter type pads/underwear that help mask the odor?
    I bet that you could you add a fabric softener cloth to the seat of your pants if you wanted. And as the gas passes through the cloth it would be smelling like a baby. Well, when they are clean of course.

I too have a lot of gas, but I dont worry about the smell all that much. Everyone farts!