Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the Care Cure Community Really Can Do

What the Care Cure Community Really Can Do

On June 25 2007 it came to my attention that there was a new quadriplegic patient being housed on the acute care neuroscience floor. Without dumping the details here, lack of insurance and denial from his home states Medicaid kept this man with a very incomplete injury from going forward. They would not pay for rehab, nor would they cover a power chair. His right arm is completely unuseable so he cannot push a manual chair at all. I was told his injury took place back in the early spring and had been there all told at that time 110 days. Social Workers and Case Managers worked very hard to try to find resources and placement for him, and because he was truly indigent and with no family or community support, there was no discharge plan suitable to allow any rehab facility to take him on. On June 25 the social worker asked me if I could find this poor man a power chair in order to give him mobility and increase his chance of being accepted by a nursing home nearer to his home.

It seemed like a tall order but I took a shot and posted a request for a donated power chair here on CC. Within a week I had several PMs offering supplies and chairs in different configurations for a person no one had ever even heard of before. The closest most readily available chair came from a family in PA. This member is a mom/caregiver to her son and her screen name here is jmh. I was delighted to hear that this chair was nearly new and sounded perfect for our patient. Transporting the chair to the hospital became a problem largely because this family is busy 24/7 taking care of the needs of their son, so I posted another appeal in my thread. That night, another member 6 string and I were talking on the phone..(He is my old college boyfriend from like..30 years ago) who offered an arrangement with Fed Ex to drive the chair down here but I would still have to go get the battery pack. About that time, another member, mlkost, PM'd 6 string, saying she lived about 40 miles from the family with the chair, and would be happy to pick it up. 6string emailed me and I PM'd mlkost and jmh and together these two women worked out a plan to transport one donated power chair cleaned and in pristine condition, set up for the left handed driver that our patient has to be, complete with drinking cup.

I have to tell you that NO ONE I work with in this HUGE Hospital could believe that within two weeks we had done as a community what business and government could not/ would not do. A patient that had become all but invisible and may have been destined to spend his last days in an acute care bed, now had promise of mobility and a discharge plan because of the kindness and coordination of strangers.

The wheelchair, donated by jmh and family, was transported by mlkost and family and delivered to the door of the Physical Medicine and Rehab Department. mlkost personally visited the patient and encouraged him and shared tips and info with him. She left him contact information and most of all gave him HOPE. At the same time, news of the whole event cascaded throughout the care team and we were all affected in a very positive way. For perhaps the first time, this patient realized there was HOPE for him and his life.

I am told that his Medicaid finally threw down to provide him with a new cushion for the chair, and that as a result of having the promise of mobility, a placement for him was finally secured and he is leaving acute care in two days time to begin again somewhere in his own state, close to his prior home. Now he can begin to rebuild like so many of you have had to do.

Also, I might add, that I made a new friend in mlkost, who has great kids and a cool great dane puppy, and am determined to visit the jmh family very soon as well. We are privileged to have the ever growing resources of the Care Cure Community. It is more than just a web-site it is growing with pains to be a corner of cyberspace that really can and does good things.

Thank you once again from the bottom of my heart.
    You truly saved a life.

Mary
    1FineSpineRN

Oh Mary ...... wonderful wonderful ..... I couldn't be prouder to be associated with CC and such a caring community ..... blessings on everyone ...... !!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

That IS wonderful, and I thank you for sharing. I'm not at all surprised, CC folks are the best. Thanks to all that helped, and good luck to the guy with a new chair! It is so nice to know someone has your back, isn't it? You rock, Mary.

Medicaid, on the other hand...whoo-frikkin'-hoo, they coughed up for a cushion.

But please, back to important stuff I gleaned with my superkeen senses... 6string is your college bf? DO tell!!

This is very cool!
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

What a wonderful group of people you all are. My goodness, such a kind thing to do for someone in need. Way to go, you should be very proud.

Very cool indeed. Congratulations to everyone who made just a huge difference in this person's life.

What a very warming story! What good people! I admire all those who helped.
    - Richard

Great news
    Be always determined in Life and Love

Well done all of you, it's amazing what people power and cooperation can achieve.

That's fantastic. Well done to you for caring and to everyone who helped.

Maybe you should email your post to everyone who has 'left' recently, remind them that CC really is the place we hope it is.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."