Thread: Caregivers rent

Caregivers rent

I'm in the progress of getting a foreign caregiver from the Philopines and I could just about write a book about what not to do but that's another story...Anyways I live in northern Alberta, Canada where our economy is incredibly hot because of our huge reserve of oil we have, but this is causing house prices and everything else to be so expensive. Well It's government regulated and the maximum rent we can charge them is $320. That doesn't seem fair. In thriving economies like Alberta there should be different regulations. That barely covers utilities at $320/month.

Hi PW. I don't have anything to say/add about the live-in rent situation, but I would be interested in your "book on what not to do" when hiring/sponsoring a foreign live-in caregiver.

Exploring that option myself and would love to have the benefit of your experiences.

Whenever you get a chance.... It would be much appreciated.

I to would be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by powerwheels
    I'm in the progress of getting a foreign caregiver from the Philopines and I could just about write a book about what not to do but that's another story...Anyways I live in northern Alberta, Canada where our economy is incredibly hot because of our huge reserve of oil we have, but this is causing house prices and everything else to be so expensive. Well It's government regulated and the maximum rent we can charge them is $320. That doesn't seem fair. In thriving economies like Alberta there should be different regulations. That barely covers utilities at $320/month.
    I don't really understand what you're asking. Will you be paying the caregiver out of pocket? Is $320 rent for a basement or full apartment or is it room and board? Is that $320 subtracted from whatever you would be paying them for services? $320 seems low for the rental of an apartment, but if it's just a room, it doesn't seem that low.

I live in Ontario, and I'm not at all familar with hiring a foreign caregiver or Alberta regulations, so forgive me if I'm asking silly questions.

Shelley

Hi PowerWheels,

I've heard about the booming economy up near Alberta due to the great reserves of oil sands that are there.

But won't you be paying your caregiver for your care? Or for some of your care depending on how many hours the Canadian healthcare system thinks you need? How many hours a day will she (or he... uh, oh) be working for you each day?

Since the economy is booming there that means that all prices for goods and services and salaries go up too, including that of your caregiver. Wouldn't that in some way, defray the cost of the caregiver's "rent". If she's going to be a full-time, live-in caregiver, wouldn't her room and board be included in the deal?

Or does Canada's healthcare system pay for your caregiver and you're just trying to make a little extra on the side, so to speak!

You'll need to explain in more detail about your situation before I could give you any suggestions. Our healthcare system down here in the US is so convoluted that I can't make heads or tails of it.... it depends if you have private health insurance, what type of private health insurance and the amount of deductible and co-pay involved etc.

Or if you're on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) thus Medicare down here in the US it's a Federal / National healthcare program. But if you're poor or indigent and you get on Medicaid, that's run jointly via the individual States and the federal government. Plus there are other programs run State by State. Very confusing to say the least.

How much would you like to charge your cutie Philippino caregiver for rent? Perhaps that could be negotiated for in other ways???

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria