Thread: Is my urologist nuts??

Is my urologist nuts??

Sorry for the pun, but late last week, I developed a sore on my penis after wearing an external that was too small. My urologist suggested I use an indwelling cath for a few days while the sore healed, so my sister (a nurse) inserted one. However, for some reason it just doesn't seem like it was right. This was Friday evening. By Saturday morning I was having chills, non-stop bladder spasms. My sister called the urologist, but he didn't want to remove the cath. By mid-morning, my bp was elevating to the mid-upper 100's, but the doctor still didn't want to remove it, saying my bp was normal in this situation. My symptoms continued to get worse, until my bp was 230/?. I then took a nice ambulance ride to the hospital, where it was found that blood had clotted the cath. I had 1200 ml in my bladder (is that a record?). So at what point would my urologist have reacted...5 minutes after my stroke?

his initial idea is standard and acceptable; his management was not. going from condom to indwelling you get colonized immediately and often infected, antibiotics may be needed. but most importantly, when you told him of your difficulties, he should have checked out the function of the foley be irrigation and/or removal/replacement. another question is whether it was clearly established that is was tested for function when put it, (i.e. was flow established), also it could have been flushed at home, perhaps the balloon was defective, only partially inflated.

IMO, there's enough blame to go around, from his mgmt to my concerns discussed above

use it as a learning experience. you can buy Second Skin, a thin sheet gel in the drug store, cut a small, pinky nail size square and place over sore, prior to rolling on condom. also use soft, wide foam strap to keep cath on, no constricting tapes, also cut ring of excess unrolled length on cath end as directed on package, this is more applicable to latex caths.

Well I don't have any advice for you but I do have you beat at 1750ml. Strange I didn't just blow up.

My Dirt Bike Misses Me

You need an Urologist who knows about SCI and Autonomic dysreflexia. You can't risk it, he will be the most important doctor you see most often.

I would talk with your sister as well. It sounds like the catheter was inserted only partially and the balloon inflated inside your urethra instead of inside your bladder. Properly inserted, an indwelling catheter in a male should be inserted all the way to the Y before the balloon is inflated. Putting the balloon up inside the urethra can cause AD, bleeding, inability of the catheter to drain the bladder, and possibly damage to the urethra and prostate. Not all nurses use the correct technique.

I agree that you should think about a different urologist. He should have at least suggested removing the catheter and replacing it using the correct technique as soon as you reported poor drainage and AD with a newly inserted catheter.

(KLD)

I have since had the indwelling removed, but I did have some blood seeping out around the tube when I did have it in. I haven't noticed much since removing it. Should I be concerned about damage being done?

Also, is it normal after having an indwelling in for a few days to have your bladder be out of whack for a while once it is removed?

Thanks