Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College textbooks.

Great topic. I have saved cash by buying used through Amazon, but with the sites everyone listed we can at least do some comparative shopping. A long shot is finding the text book at a library in your area. I was able to find a text, one edition old, for a class that worked out well.

Like Cory, it always has to come outta my own money before they'll reimburse me....so buying the books cheaper is easier either way.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know most professors--that I've had anyway--are understanding about students purchasing online to save $$ so they never get too upset when people show up without books. About the third week is when they want to see it. Last semester, a friend and I had 2 classes together...so we each bought a book and swapped every other class. It worked out well and saved money.

Students at my school set up a Web site to sell their used books to students who need them without going through the costly middleperson.

I get all of my textbooks from the publishers for free now, which is payback for 7 years of overcharging me.

Half.com

Be sure to sell your books back online at the end of the semester as well.

Something should really be done about this whole textbook thing. It's such a scam. Professors should have limitations on how often they change the official class textbook and there should be little to NO kickbacks for professors/universities who choose to use a particular publisher/author's book.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    Something should really be done about this whole textbook thing. It's such a scam. Professors should have limitations on how often they change the official class textbook and there should be little to NO kickbacks for professors/universities who choose to use a particular publisher/author's book.
    Changing software and technology dictate that I use updated editions of textbooks about every other year. It's a lot more work for me, and I'd be happy to recycle material if I could.

Kickbacks? Non-existent where I work. I deal with 3 different publishing companies and have never had kickbacks mentioned.

This is a bit too late but I have used Half.com, and if you do use it make sure the buyer has good feedback. I have purchased a few books from there for my summer courses and all has worked out so far.

At my university I am in the Disabled Student Services and every semester they issue me a voucher to use at the school bookstore for textbooks and supplies. Check your school for such services.
    Another option is to look into used textbook stores near the university, they usually have the books there cheaper.
    - OSCAR

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    Changing software and technology dictate that I use updated editions of textbooks about every other year. It's a lot more work for me, and I'd be happy to recycle material if I could.

Kickbacks? Non-existent where I work. I deal with 3 different publishing companies and have never had kickbacks mentioned.
    Okay, in a tech field, yes, I understand why you'd need to update, but I was a poli. sci. major and I had professors who changed their textbook almost every semester.

Maybe things are different in NC....and maybe I'm talking out of my ass....but I find it hard to believe that publishing companies/authors aren't motivating universities/instructors to use certain books in one way or another.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan