Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could Google kill the cell phone industry?

The 700 MHz auction is probably coming up in 2009. Google said they will put up the $4.6 billion bond to participate. However, Google is not getting their way on the rules but it is somewhat more open than normal (not as open as Google wanted) and that is what the FCC decided. Google wanted whoever wins that frequency to be required to resell it at wholesale costs to other vendors to keep the competition going. The Google model may be to offer a cell phone and the service for free or very cheap and they would make it up in advertising.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

2009? aw man...

oh well, lots can happen in a year or two.

I just learned is that the bidding for the 700 MHz Band is scheduled for 1/16/2008. I hope Google is still up for the challenge.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crackpot Journo
    Even more compelling is the nature of the relationship between Google and telecommunications companies. Not only do they basically hate each other, they sit on directly opposite sides in the debate for Net neutrality. Simply put, I think Google would love to significantly damage these companies.
    Whenever I read economic 'analysis' that includes crap like the bolded text, I kind of tune out. Google is one of the World's largest publicly-listed companies. Directors have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of the company (i.e., to maximise profits etc.), not to hurt those they 'hate'.

Building a massive broadband network that covers the USA would cost billions of dollars. Giving away 'free' software & services is different to giving away free broadband wireless access to 300 million people.

I think Google will do lots of interesting things with the spectrum - including sub-licensing - but setting up a free telephone network is just silly.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Wifi and voip may kill the cell phone first. A number of cities have already set up free wifi. There is a movement afoot to convince more people to allow others to use their bandwidth for free. In any neighborhood in New York City, for example, there are easily half a dozen open wifi channels.

A wifi phone will take a big chunk of the cell market away. In Asia, one can already buy a sim card for any cell phone and that is the largest cell phone market in the world. In fact, there are cell phones that can take multiple sim cards.

Wise.

now Apple is considering competing for the 700mhz spectrum. this is going to be interesting.

check it:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ndex_top+story

Official: Google's quest for 700MHz is so on

Posted Nov 30th 2007 10:05AM by Thomas Ricker
    Filed under: Wireless

Hear that America? That's the sound of the hammer dropping on our beloved cartel of carriers. Google's bid for the 700MHz "C Block" is on. Eric Schmidt, Google Chairman and CEO, says the following:

"We believe it's important to put our money where our principles are. Consumers deserve more competition and innovation than they have in today's wireless world. No matter which bidder ultimately prevails, the real winners of this auction are American consumers who likely will see more choices than ever before in how they access the Internet."

The bidding begins on January 24th with a minimum of $4.6 billion required for the open-access C Block. Wake the kids, phone the neighbors, it's going to get ugly fast.

engadget
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com