Thread: Quickie Handcycle Shadow Cyclone

Quickie Handcycle Shadow Cyclone

HAs anyone used this handcycle? It attaches to the front of your wheelchair, making the chair into the handcycle.

http://secure.srginc.biz/uploads/171..._handcycle.htm

T7-8 since Feb 2005

It might be good for sidewalks. I suggest getting a real handcycle so that you can go anywhere.

I've a Handcycle very similar to this one, it's a Chevron Easyrider and I really can go anywhere in it! I've looked into getting a recumbent Handcycle but I would only use it for riding on the road and use the Easyrider for going more off-road!! I went out at the weekend and did a 45 mile round trip but along country lanes and dirt tracks and I mean dirt tracks!! I personally don't think I could have managed the route in a recumbent cos the rear wheels are too far back so I wouldn't have been able to push my way out of large puddles and ruts!

Great fun but I did get very muddy and thought I was going to have to call family to come get me out of the mud!!!

As people say, horses for courses so depends where you want to go on your bike i.e. road or off-road!!

Chris

P.S. am in the process of looking around for a recumbent Handcycle so if anyone is willing to sell me theirs and ship it to the UK let me know

Sj, I recently got a XLT handcycle that's been great. So far I stick to the rails-to-trials around here. I'm lucky enough to just be able to get on the trails right from my house. I'm not sure if the trials extend to your part of the state but they can't be too far. How easy it is to connect the quickie to your chair? One positive I see about the quickie is that if you ride somewhere you don't have to worry about bringing you chair along. With my handcycle I'm pretty much stuck in it until I get back home since I really don't feel like towing my chair behind me.
    One thing I noticed on the quickie is that the stock version is only 3 speeds so any hills may be a problem depending on the actual gearing. If you get it I would say to get the optional 7 speed hub.

I believe they have stopped making them as they fall off?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

They fall off...! How?!

The only problem I have with mine is the Handcycle turns in the sleave that it attaches to the chair which is a pain in the ass but just means I have to straighten it up every-so-often while riding along which can be fun!!!!

Chris

Liz, I hadn't heard that? WIll have to check it out!

LiteSpeed, I am looking at bikepath riding mostly too. The trail extends down my way as well. I haven't tried it out or anything, just ran across it on ebay. The whole "still having your chair when you got there" appealed to me. I am not really considering a recombent bike since I would need help transferring back to my chair. My uphill transfers are still questionable.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Sj check out http://www.bike-on.com The guys there are really helpful and they even have used bikes for sale. A couple look like they may be what your looking for. Also check out http://www.nepassage.org/. They are in New Hampshire but you can try/rent different bikes as well as other equipment.

http://www.nepassage.org/rentals.html

I got one of these back in 1993 and what a difference it made in my life. I have cycled thousands and thousands of miles with the attachment and it has never come off. I also was in AXA World Ride 95 and did Atlanta to DC with them and when they arrived back in the states Santa Fe NM to Kansas City MO ( had to leave early due to a sore) I will say that had I known more I would not have tried to use the attachment for the ride, and did use a Freedom Ryder for the second stage I did, but over all the attachment is great the only con I see to them right now is only seven gears. Mine came with 24 gears and a two speed hub so 48 gears. I have a Mach 2 right now and it only has seven gears as well but I test rode it and made sure I could manage with just seven gears. I liked the fact that it did not take up much space when I was not using it and I could take it on and off so easily and go in and eat at a restaurant come back out and put it back on and cycle away, can not do that with the bike i have now it would not be practical to try and go in a restaurant with the bike. I do not know how they attach now but the way mine attaches I did not have to mess with it after attaching it till I was ready to take it off. They probably tried to improve it and ended up with something not as good as what they started with. If you have any other questions feel free to message me. If you are just going to ride for fitness and enjoyment than it might be for you. If you think you might want to distance ride (over 50 miles with a group of other cyclist and have a chance of keeping up) then you should look at the recumbents. What ever you do try and test ride as many as you can.