Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dell latitude cp/windows 98se/belkin wireless g notebook card

dell latitude cp/windows 98se/belkin wireless g notebook card

okay i got this old timer runnin...Aighttttt.

finally got another 64mb ram installed so i'm at 128mb, which is max according to the documentation. thing is, it don't seem like nothing major has improved.

right clik my computer an it's showin 128, everest is showin 128 so i'm assuming it's recognized an working. maybe i was expecting too much since i've read everywhere that "adding more ram is the best upgrade, performance wise you can give your comp".

It's a great upgrade for XP, as it is such a resource hog, but if youre running 95/98/ME, well, you see the effect. But now that thing can run XP, so maybe that would be a good upgrade path moving to the NT kernel. Much more stable I'd think.

Yha, It'll be faster if you browes around and it starts chaching in the ram.

I'd still be wearey of XP on it. Maybe goto Win2000 as that can be gotten at the price you got 98

i think i might try the XP now, just to see if it'll run on there. got that cd. won't be much trouble since i've had to format an reinstall 98se.........ABOUT 10 DAMN TIMES, hahaha.

if it won't run, i'll try an scout out win 2000. 98 an me......have never an don't seem like we're ever gonna get along.

NO ME,, NO NO NO NO theres a reason why XP came out 2 yrs after ME.

damn pat'b. i got it installin as we forumspeak, lol. i'll try it. if it don't werk i'll find 2000, ME or what-not, haha.

dunno what i want worse.......a new wheelchair or a new laptop, HAHAHA.

lol, nah really.......it's not a big deal. i don't have a job, it's thursday night an i aint got SH!T to do, HAHAHA.

actually, that UBUNTU thread is soundin really enticing.

Meh, laptop from tigerdirect is under 500. What are you installing XP? that's fine if it works... I said no to ME.

ohhhh, i misunderstood. i'm reinstalling XP, messed up the other night, lol.

i know i'll have to go an uninstall all that unuseful stuff in add/remove since this laptop has a tiny hard drive. i'll let ya know how it works.

Isn't 128M a bit short for XP? It should run your browser and email, but make sure to use a lightweight antivirus like AVAST or AVG, not that crazy Norton Antivirus that gobbles up most of your computer's resources.

Yeah, it will hit the hard drive up for virtual memory, but it might be a better tradeoff running that vs 98 or whatever. My first lappy was a 128mb model, I was thinking that should be plenty coming from 98...until I got it. But it still worked nonetheless if slowly. FWIW, that was while I was in rehab, my first laptop...I ordered the 2nd day I was there, needed internet!