Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How much longer?

no ian, stupid is the word. we all want a cure but we as a group dont take the time to understand the science. this forum use to talk about every corner of research. now it is a "give me stem cell only" cure forum.

Quote Originally Posted by crabtex
    The reason I believe the timelines I suggested are reasonable is because of the length of time it takes to take drugs and procedure oriented therapies through clinical trials
    In the USA this is right. There is currently no funding and no real clinical trial infrastructure. How could a "cure" reasonably occur any sooner?

Not negative, just the reality our situation in the USA.

I don't understand why a rat can recover but I can't. I am a republican but I will be glad when this president leaves and is replaced by someone who will let stem cell technology go forward. I honestly believe that I may not get to see a full recovery in my lifetime, but by letting things go forward, my children will never have to sit in a a GD wheelchair and live like this. I'm not complaining that my life is bad but it would be a whole lot better if i could walk,control my bladder and bowel movements, have a normal sex life.....etc. etc.

Although Everday is a living Hell, Much prefer a Cure for cancer Over SCI.

enough said...my points exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    maybe I'm a little selfish when I say this, but speaking as a complete quadriplegic I would much rather have cancer than be a quadriplegic. If you have cancer you at least have a chance of getting better. To me, being a quadriplegic is hell. It took away my high school years college years, favorite hobby, privacy, independence, self-confidence, and relationship life. Not only is it bad enough that it affects you, but it affects your whole family as well. Everyone's lives have changed. It has robbed me of everything, and left me with little.

To me quadriplegia is just a prolonged death sentence with little enjoyment. The worst part isn't for me though... it's living with the fact that my parents have had to change their lives 180° in order to care for me. I feel much worse for them than I do for myself. They take great care of me, but I wish I could give them their lives back. I wish this injury never happened. It robs me of the most important thing to me... marriage and having a family and has left me with the guilt of transforming my family's life.

I'd much rather try beating the odds of having cancer or die than live with the guilt I have of being dependent upon others, transforming their lives, and living my life out like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann21
    Everyone's lives have changed. It has robbed me of everything, and left me with little.
    I think about this all the time and think about even if or when a cure does come, how shall we all be psychologically, as then we will all have to deal with the fact that we were robbed of so many years of our life with this injury, and for most of us they are our good years.

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    now it is a "give me stem cell only" cure forum.
    I agree that many people think the only opportunity for effective treatment lies with stem cells and also that "stem cell only" thinking has blinded many to the possibility of other avenues. I dont agree that this is the case on this forum, our obstacle the way I view it is to educate the general public into understanding that a cure is possible and that the technology for a cure already exists. It is the general public who need to get on the side of a cure and ask why governments are not contributing more towards providing treatments instead of pushing people with sci into the too hard basket.
    We can blame the media partially for the stem cell overhype, they have talked up stem cell research to the point where many people think the only obstacle is raising enough money to travel overseas to get cured. If we are waiting for stem cells alone to provide a cure I think the reality is decades away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann21
    maybe I'm a little selfish when I say this, but speaking as a complete quadriplegic I would much rather have cancer than be a quadriplegic. If you have cancer you at least have a chance of getting better. To me, being a quadriplegic is hell. It took away my high school years college years, favorite hobby, privacy, independence, self-confidence, and relationship life. Not only is it bad enough that it affects you, but it affects your whole family as well. Everyone's lives have changed. It has robbed me of everything, and left me with little.

To me quadriplegia is just a prolonged death sentence with little enjoyment. The worst part isn't for me though... it's living with the fact that my parents have had to change their lives 180° in order to care for me. I feel much worse for them than I do for myself. They take great care of me, but I wish I could give them their lives back. I wish this injury never happened. It robs me of the most important thing to me... marriage and having a family and has left me with the guilt of transforming my family's life.

I'd much rather try beating the odds of having cancer or die than live with the guilt I have of being dependent upon others, transforming their lives, and living my life out like this.
    Dann21,

In the last three years, my brother, my best friend, and Dana Reeve died of colon, gallbladder, and lung cancer respectively. It broke my heart watching them die, with no hope.

Do not feel guilty about your dependence. I of course cannot speak for your family but I suspect that they love you very much. A cure for spinal cord injury is not only for you but for them.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-21-2007 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    There are cures for certain types of cancers, why should there also not be cures for certain types of sci?