Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sorry to bother you all again...At what point should sensory test be done

Sorry to bother you all again...At what point should sensory test be done

Hi, just a quick question... at what point should a sensory test be done?
    None givin at this point.
    ( t-7 ,40 percent compression fracture, retropulsed into anterior spinal canal approx. 2mm, fracture fragment right lateral margin vertebral body t-7 displacement measuring approx. 3mm. Along with various other issues t5678 and L-5, s-1 & 2.)
    Is feeling of tingling and heat sensation normal healing left side of spine dirrectly across from left armpit.?
    Thank-you in advance!
    Diana

Many centers only do ASIA tests when you enter and againat discharge. Sometimes they check when someone has motor function. The sensory changes he has sometimes happen as swelling diminishes. If he had a decompression at T7 I am not ure why he has that type of sensory in his arm, that is more of a C5 region.

Did he have a shoulder injury?
    Every day I wake up is a good one

No shoulder injury. Only scrapes were on right side of mid back. I am thinking this area of tingling and heat is related to t-5 compression. It is level behind left armpit on left side of spine. It looks like t-5 hits this area on sensory chart.T-5 and t-6 compression fracture involved superior endplate only 15 percent.
    I just wanted to make sure heat doesn't mean infection of some kind.
    My son has had weird symptoms like feeling like sections of back are wet when they are dry. Right two toes loss of sensation on top, numbness buttock. ETC.
    Hospital never performed sensory test. It sure would have been nice to of had a base-line regarding what comes back.
    Thanks again,
    Diana

Most clinical trials have emphasized 6 weeks (I am not sure why but most data comes from 6 week than any other period), 6 months, and on year. You can do the test yourself.

Wise.

Hi,
    Cheesecake, you were right my son just had x-ray of cervical spine, as pain is getting very bad (sharp random pains, sometimes shoot down side)in this area. X-ray showed 2mm anterolisthesis C6 on C7. We are having mri of cervical tomorrow.
    I'm not sure why this wasn't detected while in hospital. X-ray of cervical in hospital showed c1-c5, shoulders blocked c6 and c7. He was given a clear cervical at this time. He also had full body cat taken hexically, cervical injury did not show.

Question, for anyone regarding sensory test. We still haven't had this. (Son cannot look over left shoulder, symptoms of numbness heat, toes, back etc. still same.) Do I have valid reason to request this?
    Thank-you again so much! This site has been a wealth of information!
    Diana

Neurologist won't give son sensory test! He asked why I wanted it, I told him because it would be nice to know exactly what was gone and because I am his mom and want to know. Neurologist said at this point whatever loss he has isn't going to change, so there is no point in doing test.
    I realize what loss he has is minor ( right two toes no sensation, buttocks, and back area numb.etc.) Am I wrong to want to know exact loss? Accident was June 16th.
    Thank-you, Diana

Maybe the neurologist doesn't know how to do a proper ASIA. Ask his physiatrist or trained PT to do it. We do it at admission to rehab, discharge, and at 3 and 12 months at the very minimum, and most patients get it repeated annually to be sure that nothing has changed. Sounds like he needs a doctor who is more willing to work with you rather than just tell you what to do (or not). He appears to have a pretty negative attitude. Shop around!

(KLD)

Hi,
    I had enough of sons nuerologist and took son to orthopedic doc. He was great explained everything as much as possible. His examination showed son does have loss of sensation in top of right foot, right two toes, buttocks parts of back etc. ( son also has limitations cannot twist right or left, cannot look over sholuders, or bend neck back, has weakness on right side, etc.)
    Doctor said his loss doesn't make sense. He said mri of thoracic taken after motorcycle crash showed swelling in bone, along with the compressions and fracture fragment etc.I have talked about before. ( I didn't know bones could swell), and mri in July shows no improvement. He wants to repeat mri, to see if swelling same or improving. If mri is still the same, he wants to send son to another doctor who specializes in spine surgery...it turns out he uses same neuroligist I am unhappy with. He said my son should have been improving by now, as it has been three months. Swelling should have gone down by now. Also son only feels bladder when pretty full or full.

Question; Is there anyone who knows why son would have loss of sensation, without obvious cord injury, nerve impingent. What possible explanation could this be. Do I keep pushing to find out why? I cannot stand not knowing what caused this or is causing this...

Thank-you,
    Diana

Quote Originally Posted by uuudianauuu
    Hi,
    I had enough of sons nuerologist and took son to orthopedic doc. He was great explained everything as much as possible. His examination showed son does have loss of sensation in top of right foot, right two toes, buttocks parts of back etc. ( son also has limitations cannot twist right or left, cannot look over sholuders, or bend neck back, has weakness on right side, etc.)
    Doctor said his loss doesn't make sense. He said mri of thoracic taken after motorcycle crash showed swelling in bone, along with the compressions and fracture fragment etc.I have talked about before. ( I didn't know bones could swell), and mri in July shows no improvement. He wants to repeat mri, to see if swelling same or improving. If mri is still the same, he wants to send son to another doctor who specializes in spine surgery...it turns out he uses same neuroligist I am unhappy with. He said my son should have been improving by now, as it has been three months. Swelling should have gone down by now. Also son only feels bladder when pretty full or full.

Question; Is there anyone who knows why son would have loss of sensation, without obvious cord injury, nerve impingent. What possible explanation could this be. Do I keep pushing to find out why? I cannot stand not knowing what caused this or is causing this...

Thank-you,
    Diana
    Diana, I am sorry but something must have gotten garbled in the communication with the doctor. May I suggest that you get the actual radiologist's report on the MRI and have the doctor give you a formal report in writing of the findings? For example, I agree that swelling of bone is very strange.

Your description of the sensory changes suggest that your son may have had some peripheral nerve damage as well. Please be glad that it is so little.

Wise.

Thank-you,
    I have called doctor to clarify this. He is out of town until Tuesday, and will return my call then.

Peripheral nerve damage makes alot of sense. This is most likely reason for his symptoms.
    I was reading about this in some of your post, this led me again...to Cauda Equina and Conus injuries. Sons symptoms are primarily unilateral ( right side), so I am assuming Conus is not his injury. Cauda Equina symptoms are really close to my sons. He has the saddle anesthisia, sensory loss on right side is S1 nerve sensory area. The only thing I am unsure of is bladder. He only feels this when it is full or near full, and goes alot. I haven't been givin explanation for this by doctors.
    Questions;
    Can peripheral nerve damage mimic that of Cauda Equina injury?

Is one mri taken one month, after motorcycle crash, sagittal t1 and t2 lumbar, and axial t2 lumbar
    (without dye) acceptable in ruling out Cauda Equina injury?

How well does the Cauda Equina show up on these types of images.

Thank-you, many times over!!!
    Diana
    Last edited by uuudianauuu; 09-07-2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling error