Thread: Eat more Curry!

Talking Eat more Curry!

Scientists Isolate Chemical In Curry That May Help Immune System Clear Plaques Found In Alzheimer's

Science Daily — Researchers have isolated bisdemethoxycurcumin, the active ingredient of curcuminoids -- a natural substance found in turmeric root -- that may help boost the immune system in clearing amyloid beta, a peptide that forms the plaques found in Alzheimer's disease. Using blood samples from Alzheimer's disease patients, researchers found that bisdemethoxycurcumin boosted immune cells called macrophages to clear amyloid beta.

In addition, researchers identified the immune genes associated with this activity.

The study provides more insight into the role of the immune system in Alzheimer's disease and points to a new treatment approach. Researchers say that it may be possible to test a patient's immune response with a blood sample in order to individualize treatment. The genes involved in the process, called MGAT III and Toll-like receptors, are also responsible for a number of other key functions in the immune system.

The results also suggest a new drug development approach for the disease that differs from the amyloid-beta vaccine. The new approach relies on the innate immune system, which is present at birth rather than on antibodies produced by B cells, which is a later developed part of the active immune system....
    I wonder what the alzheimers rates are in India.

Perhaps this explains why in Thailand Alzheimers is unknown .

Quote Originally Posted by MioaraD
    Perhaps this explains why in Thailand Alzheimers is unknown .
    For true?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

are you sure about it?

My doc encourages curry in pill form as a type of insurance against Alzheimer's and related dementia. He also encourages vitamins A, C and E, says these may provide additional help for continued brain health.

Given two grandparents have had or have Alzheimer's, I listen to my doc and follow his advice. Plus, it's a great excuse to frequent my fave Indian restaurant.

**edited 'cause while I can spell, these paws aren't always so accurate on the keyboard
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 08-02-2007 at 05:30 PM.

I take cayenne pepper supplements in pill form every other day. Supposed to be good for improving circulation, increasing metabolism etc.

I used to get chills a lot, but after taking the cayenne pepper I didn't notice it nearly as much. I got my mom to start taking it and she noticed that her indigestion improved. Apparently it is also supposed to be a digestive aid-go figure (I thought the pepper would do the opposite for indigestion). I would recommend giving it a try.

I take cayenne pepper supplements in pill form every other day. Supposed to be good for improving circulation, increasing metabolism etc.

I used to get chills a lot, but after taking the cayenne pepper I didn't notice it nearly as much. I got my mom to start taking it and she noticed that her indigestion improved. Apparently it is also supposed to be a digestive aid-go figure (I thought the pepper would do the opposite for indigestion). I would recommend giving it a try.

What a day - I love this site, I've discovered that despite a pack of Marlboro Lights and more than six drinks a day I'm going to live 'till I'm 84.....

........and to cap it off, with all the curry I eat I'll die sane!

I love curry, ate lots of it when I lived in the UK, learned to cook a few recipes too. The family didn't enjoy it as much as me so its gone by the wayside. Love me hot food too, chilis, peppers, tabascos, hot sauce (made my own fire water once) The hotter the better. Umm Umm Umm.....and no stomach probs either!

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru
    What a day - I love this site, I've discovered that despite a pack of Marlboro Lights and more than six drinks a day I'm going to live 'till I'm 84.....

........and to cap it off, with all the curry I eat I'll die sane!
    cheers timaru ...do you love soccer [football] ?if yes which is your favorite team[soccer club]?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."