Thread: Mushrooms

Mushrooms

http://img.breitbart.com/images/2007...to00.photo.jpg

In the United States, people tend to eat only a few mushrooms that are grown mostly in cave farms. Yes, we have expanded slightly from from the button mushrooms to Shiitake mushrooms that are grown the a log from the Japanese Shii tree (Source). There is a whole kingdom of mushrooms that Americans are not aware of (Source).

Probably most people have never heard of the reshi mushroom, that is sometimes called the mushroom of immortality. This prized fungus boosts the iimmune system, fights cancer, wards off heart disease, calms nerves, and relieves allergies and inflammation (Source). Mushrooms are a rich source of selenium (Source) that reduce the side-effects of chemotherapy.

One mycologist Paul Stamets believes that Mushrooms will save the world but suffer from "biological racism" even though they can stop poison-gas attacks and cure deadly diseases. There are many in France who consider chanterelles to be the ultimate delicacy in the world but you would have a hard time finding them to eat in the United States even though lots of them thrive in the wood of North America. And, of course, there are the truffles.

My first major introduction to Chinese truffles occurred several years ago in Yunnan province (Source). Yunnan province is the mushroom center of the world. Of the 2000 species of edible mushroom in the world, more than 600 grow in Yunnan. I have since learned that, when in China, the best dishes to order in restaurants are vegetables with mushrooms. It is not only likely to be real, very tasty, and an adventure. Nobody tries to fake mushrooms in China.

Wise.

WOW! That is an amazing mushroom!

I've always had an interrest in them. Something I would like to learn is how to decern the difference between edible and non.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    WOW! That is an amazing mushroom!

I've always had an interrest in them. Something I would like to learn is how to decern the difference between edible and non.
    I love to eat them.Stuffed/in onions/boiled seafood.I even like the band Mushroomhead.lol
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

In the US, many people were drilled as children not to eat any mushrooms, unless they are from a can or on a pizza . There are certainly deadly varieties that are common in the wild, and I think this fear of mushrooms from an early age is the cause of the lack of variety you see in stores in the US.

Anecdotally, when my middle son was six, he stumbled out of the woods by our house holding some sort of orangish-colored mushroom. We passed our conditioning on to him, never eat mushrooms you find, they can make you very sick, etc. He spent the rest of the afternoon walking around the yard with a baseball bat, bashing any fungus he could find. Though we certainly won't have to worry about him eating strange mushrooms, I wonder if he'll ever try anything other than the plain old canned mushrooms ever again.

i always loved to go in the forest [mushroom hunting].from the primary school our biology professors took us in the woods and teached us about wild mushrooms.some are good to eat,some can kill you.we have plenty around my area[transylvania].
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

What Zero mentioned is what I was taught. Don't eat wild mushrooms! Sad.. I wish they would have taught us which was which.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

I haven't tried many varieties but I love portobellos.

morrell,chantrell ,truffle are very tasty too.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

more on the mushroom

MUSHROOMS

Mushrooms are not a true vegetable in the sense that it does not have any leaves, roots, or seeds, and really does not need any light to grow. So what exactly is a mushroom? It is a fungus, which grows in the dark and creates more mushrooms by releasing spores. Mushrooms are found all over the world and have been a very honored food in many cultures. Ancient Egyptians considered mushrooms to be food for the royals. The French adored the fungus and began harvesting them in caves during the seventeenth century. These famous fungi didn't reach popularity in the United States until the late 1800s.

Mushroom Benefits
    Mushrooms are brimming with protein, B vitamins (riboflavin, niacin and pantothenic), and minerals (selenium, potassium,and copper). They're low in calories and may have antibacterial substances to help the body. Cooked fresh mushrooms offer the most nutritional benefit versus the canned version that may have more sodium.

How do mushrooms grow?
    Since mushrooms are grown from microscopic spores, Mushroom farming is a step-by-step process that involves:

two phases of composting
    spawning (mushroom farmer's collecting the spores)
    casing (a soil mixture that acts as a water reservoir that is placed on top of the mushroom spores)
    pinning (the growth stage where the shape of the mushroom forms)
    harvesting

It's best to buy your mushrooms from a reputable grower or grocer instead of hunting them yourself, as there are many poisonous mushrooms. Incorrectly identifying them can lead to symptoms of sweating, cramps, diarrhea, confusion, convulsions, and potentially result in liver damage, or even death.

Varieties
    There are over 38,000 mushroom varieties today. Some are edible and some are highly toxic. Here's a small sample of the most popular edible mushrooms you'll see in the market:

Agaricus (White or Button)
    These mushrooms are the most common variety prepackaged in supermarkets; available fresh, canned, or frozen. White mushrooms are mildly flavored, are tasty when eaten raw but even more flavorful when cooked.

Chanterelles, or Girolle
    These trumpet shaped fungi are highly regarded mushrooms favored for their gold to yellow color, and rich flavor, ranging from apricot to earthier tasting. Chanterelles are best eaten fresh, although they are also available dried or canned.

Crimini, or Italian Brown
    These mushrooms are similar to the button variety, yet they are darker in color, have a richer flavor, and have a more dense texture. Criminis were once an imported mushroom but are now grown domestically.

Enoki, or Enokitake
    This fungi takes on a sproutlike appearance with small caps and thin, long, stems. Native to Japan, white in color, with a light fruity taste, these mushrooms are excellent when served raw in soups and salads.

Morel
    These mushrooms are highly priced and highly prized for their intense earthly flavor. They are usually found in the wild, although can now be grown commercially. This conical shaped, honey combed surface fungi is small, with dark brown hues, is suitable for stuffing and is ideal for sauces and stews.

Oyster, or Pleurotus
    These mushrooms grow in clusters, and range in color from off-white to shades of brown. Subtly tasting like an oyster, its chewy texture is more suited to cooked dishes.

Porcini
    Porcini mushrooms are well valued for their meaty texture, interesting flavor, and distinguishing shape. These mushrooms vary in size and is domestically grown or imported from Europe depending on the season. This variety is usually expensive, but is considered one of the finest-tasting mushrooms.

Portobello
    These are large cremini-like mushrooms that are sometimes the size of a regular hamburger! These fungi are circular, flat, and long, with a dense, chewy texture. Portobellos are excellent for grilling or roasting.

Shiitake
    Shiitake mushrooms were originally cultivated on natural oak logs and only grown in Japan, but are now available domestically. These mushrooms are large, black-brown, and have an earthy rich flavor. This fungi is enjoyed in stir-fries, soups, or even a meat substitute. Dried Shiitakes have more intense flavors and are sometimes preferable to fresh.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artmushrooms2.html

There are shops in Gardena California where you can get a vast assortment of mushrooms from everywhere on Earth. My dad would go into the woods after a good rain and harvest sponge mushrooms very tasty.

We have some Asian chefs that really know how to showcase mushrooms in their dishes. Even my no mushrooms for me husband finds them pretty tasty when used so well. I like most of them raw in a salad or cooked.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.