Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My SO went to assisted living

JenJen

I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. It just seems so overwhelming to think about, and you are having to live it.

I can't help, I'm sorry.

Please just know that I, along with the rest of us care, and want you to vent as much as needed.

I wish there was something we could do to give you a break. Anything I can say just seems so flippant.

Shelley

Aww, Jen, I can't say it any better or more eloquently than you just did.

Brain injuries are just so hard because there's nothing tangible to grab on to; there's no injury to see; there's nothing obviously wrong physically.

I do think some cognitive rehab would benefit him, if you found the right person. I would be happy to help you network some resources, feel free to PM me if you like.

Oh, and - (((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Jen, thanks for these posts. You're doing a big service, and I only wish there were some way to be helpful. We're pulling for you.

JenJen, I almost feel ashamed to have been so ignorant about TBI when I have been so connected to a community which often experiences it so deeply. Thanks for helping me to understand. And I really hope that you can get more help. Also, your SO might improve with time. The central nervous system has plasticity to re-wire itself. I think it does take time. No one can say if the personality will return to normal. It must be dreadfully hard for you. I'm so sorry and I feel helpless except to say that I'm really glad you found us. SCI is so hard. Dealing with SO's TBI is a big double blow. Hope you can get rest and take care of yourself.

YOUR HUSBAND NEEDS TO BE MEDICATED!!!
    (x100!)
    I know it is easy for me to say, but it is clearly a matter of survival for you and for him. If his pstch cannot find something that works, change the channel.

Also, on a rant a rave night when you need a break, would it help to have an online text chat person for him to preach to?
    I am serious, not making fun or anything. Could there be a AIM account that when asked, one of the people here could log into, requesting his "help" to occupy and possibly redirect, a bad day/night?? Just a thought.

Good luck 2 u kid!!!

Lemme know if I can be of chat-help

I realize nothing I can say will change your situation. But you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Again, thanks for all the support.

Nose, he IS medicated but it's not as helpful as you might think. Brain injuries are not the same as SMI. I like your other suggestion very much but due to his blindness, the internet is not easy to navigate in spite of about $15,000 in adaptive technology.

Nonetheless, I appreciate all the suggestions, keep 'em coming!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.