Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What is it called, disabled persons, handicapped, handi-capable, differently abled?

What is it called, disabled persons, handicapped, handi-capable, differently abled?

I was trying to find the thread on this discussion but had some trouble finding the right keywords. What is the preferred term?

I've referred to my spinal cord injury as a handicap and never really gave the different labels that much thought. Perhaps mobility challenged?

I know this isn't really limited to english either. Another website I'm on had a debate on whether it was more correct to use the term "Personnes Ă* MobilitĂ© RĂ©duite" or "personnes handicapĂ©es."

What do you think?
    Daniel

I hate the term handicap, I actually prefer crip (though offensive to some).

I say "gimpin'" a lot, and I've never been one for labels. I've recently learned that it's offensive, even in self-identification.
    Daniel

A friend used to call me handi-capable all the time. I didn't know it was a real word. I kind of like that one.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

I'm partial to "plegics" for a semiformal feeling term and "wheelers" for an offhand one.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I don't know that I call myself anything. Usually I just say I'm paralyzed. Doesn't seem as negative for some reason. It's something that happened to me not something that describes me. Well I guess it's both but I think you get what I mean.

I think crip is one of those words that bothers some and not others. Or a word you can often use in your own "group" but don't really want a stranger calling you. But that is just me.

For example I recently found out that someone on my ex's side has been calling me the crip. This came out when my son asked me what it meant. I was angry. Mainly because I am sure they were badmouthing. It also annoyed me at work when someone identified me as the little crippled girl. Don't know why. But if my friend who I eat lunch with some says hey crip it doesn't bother me becasue he's laughing while doing it. He's also in a chair.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

AFAIK, the word "handicapped" is offensive because of its derivation. The origin of the word is from the old British "hand in cap", which referred to beggars.
    Daniel

Eewwww, little crippled girl? Nobody but Aunt Marge and Grandma get to call me that, and they're past calling me anything!

I don't find I care. Used to call myself crip, then found it offended a friend so I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    AFAIK, the word "handicapped" is offensive because of its derivation. The origin of the word is from the old British "hand in cap", which referred to beggars.
    Dan, but since almost nobody knows that, can "we" really feel insulted by its use. People, even those with good vocabularies, are rarely into word derivations.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Just whatever you prefer.

The typical use is "disabled" or "person with a disability", etc. for checking off forms and such and identifying yourself in some formal or official capacity.

Crip is just a casual term, short for crippled, which is just a physical description anf not offensive. Just a bit inappropriate for strangers to use that to refer to me, but I've never had anyone IRL refer to me as a crip anyway. I'm the only one that says it in my world (real life), but only say it sometimes with very few. Think it makes most folk more uncomfortable than if I just say disabled.

Gimp is just.... dorky and dumb. Not offensive to me personally. Just Dorky and dumb. So people using it looks to me like they are referring to themselves negatively. To each their own.

btw. Dan. I remember when I first had to really identify myself, on the phone to someone, and I was stuck when I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to say -- thinking... am I "disabled"... "handicapped"...? "what am I"? I might have been more concerned about not offending the person I was talking to, not myself.
    Last edited by chick; 07-16-2007 at 01:08 AM.