View Poll Results: How has your SCI affected your ability / desire to travel?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • My SCI has had no effect on my travel habits

22 13.75%
  • My SCI has somewhat affected my desire to travel

21 13.13%
  • My SCI has somewhat affected my ability to travel

37 23.13%
  • My SCI has severely limited my desire to travel

28 17.50%
  • My SCI has severely limited my ability to travel

44 27.50%
  • I don't travel at all since my SCI

15 9.38%
  • I travel more than I did prior to my SCI

21 13.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: I'm curious how often SCI's travel

Quote Originally Posted by hapahouli
    What do you all consider travelling? Pre-SCI I would go on a lot of weekend trips generally 5+ hours by car from my house. Post SCI(14mos.), I have gone on about 5 trips where my family and I have driven 5+ hours from our house.

One big disadvantage with SCI and travelling is it is harder to be spontaneous. Last minute weekend trips take a little bit more planning and preparation.

My next adventure is travelling by plane...Hawaii?...Japan?...Canada?

Danny
    LOL I had a friend who always said she could be as spontaneous as anyone with 3 hours advance notice. I consider trips to be everything from the 3 to 4 hour trip to Rutgers for open houses to seeing my M-I-L in CT, to going home to Wisconsin to visit my family and friends. Adventures involve planes or cruise ships or trains. Trains are weird though. Get something you can use as a chest belt for American trains. Amazingly the rocking is not forward/bacward but sideways. Makes meals a pain if you aren't expecting it. And I have good lateral support muscles.

Personally, I'd suggest Hawaii or Canada for a first flight or cruise vacation. I haven't been to Hawaii but it's accessible from flying in. Cruises require a lot of tendering though. Same with Canada, fewer access issues so you can concentrate on how to make the most out of flying, make notes for longer trips like Japan, etc. Or fly up to Vancoveur for an Alaskan cruise. Summer season is half over so prices are going down.

And big point for flying! Without actually saying 'blow up' let the attendants know that your air or gel cushion must be kept in the pressurized hold along with any floam tires. I normally say that in the non-pressurized hold they could burst a seam and ooze gel that is incredibly sticky that could get on other cargo. You want your chair gate checked and ask an attendant 30 minutes out from your destination to radio ahead so it will be at the ramp as you leave the jetway.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoRacer598
    I travel alot. Fly about every month during rugby season. I take a cruise at least once a year also. I traveled alot pre-sci with my racing and i haven't let my sci take my traveling away.
    I did 9 years of PT after my SCI and it did interfer with traveling. Once we started again though.... I think my husband is trying out retirement on what is becoming 2 cruises a year lately. Takes planning even with a decent income but we love it. Flying if you can get a bump or afford business class is much easier on the body in my case.

Where and with which lines do you like?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    I did 9 years of PT after my SCI and it did interfer with traveling. Once we started again though.... I think my husband is trying out retirement on what is becoming 2 cruises a year lately. Takes planning even with a decent income but we love it. Flying if you can get a bump or afford business class is much easier on the body in my case.

Where and with which lines do you like?
    We sail alot on carnival or royal caribbean. Actually leaving on a 7 day E carib on Carnival in Sept. Its my Gf's and kids first cruise so they're excited! I've done allthe caribbean I really want to do Alaska next.

Flying we fly Southwest alot and its easy for me to transfer straight from my chair to the front row no need for a aisle chair! I find now that getting bumped up to bus class is easier esp on delta or american
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

LOL I had a friend who always said she could be as spontaneous as anyone with 3 hours advance notice. I consider trips to be everything from the 3 to 4 hour trip to Rutgers for open houses to seeing my M-I-L in CT, to going home to Wisconsin to visit my family and friends. Adventures involve planes or cruise ships or trains. Trains are weird though. Get something you can use as a chest belt for American trains. Amazingly the rocking is not forward/bacward but sideways. Makes meals a pain if you aren't expecting it. And I have good lateral support muscles.

Personally, I'd suggest Hawaii or Canada for a first flight or cruise vacation. I haven't been to Hawaii but it's accessible from flying in. Cruises require a lot of tendering though. Same with Canada, fewer access issues so you can concentrate on how to make the most out of flying, make notes for longer trips like Japan, etc. Or fly up to Vancoveur for an Alaskan cruise. Summer season is half over so prices are going down.

And big point for flying! Without actually saying 'blow up' let the attendants know that your air or gel cushion must be kept in the pressurized hold along with any floam tires. I normally say that in the non-pressurized hold they could burst a seam and ooze gel that is incredibly sticky that could get on other cargo. You want your chair gate checked and ask an attendant 30 minutes out from your destination to radio ahead so it will be at the ramp as you leave the jetway.
    really? i wasn't aware of this. i take a roho to sit on in the plane and just leave my gel seat on the chair. i've not had a problem...yet. maybe my chair(electric) is put in pressurized section? i've only flown chartered flights on 320, 330 airbuses and similar. maybe that makes a difference.

paul

Quote Originally Posted by MotoRacer598
    We sail alot on carnival or royal caribbean. Actually leaving on a 7 day E carib on Carnival in Sept. Its my Gf's and kids first cruise so they're excited! I've done allthe caribbean I really want to do Alaska next.

Flying we fly Southwest alot and its easy for me to transfer straight from my chair to the front row no need for a aisle chair! I find now that getting bumped up to bus class is easier esp on delta or american
    Don't tell my husabnd but I actually liked our two Carnival cruises. Hey, I even loved our Nowegian Sun inaugural to Canada even though many seem to dislike the free choice type days. Mainly we're Celebrity people now. He likes the food and I like the longer itienaries. I'd love to do Alaska too but we're booked 2 out now. We swapped a transatlantic in a suite from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale in early December to one 10 day out of Tampa we did in March to the western Caribbean and then another one in October/November to Bermuda, Jamaica, Labadee and 3 stops in Columbia for less. We didn't realize you could freeze on that Sky Suite's balcony even in the Canary Islands in December.

We also fly Southwest for those front row seats. It's so easy especially out of BWI-Tampa is non-stop and Ft Lauderdale stops for 20 minutes in Jacksonville. Nice to hear about Delta and Business. We booked our first cruise south of the Equater for next year and the flight to Chile is going to be long. I'll be hoping for the bump fairy to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by iamluap
    really? i wasn't aware of this. i take a roho to sit on in the plane and just leave my gel seat on the chair. i've not had a problem...yet. maybe my chair(electric) is put in pressurized section? i've only flown chartered flights on 320, 330 airbuses and similar. maybe that makes a difference.

paul
    If the chair meets you as you get off the plane right as you enter the terminal then it was in the pressurized hold. You should tell them when you switch to the aisle chair to make sure. They may do it automatically because of the gel batteries. Even in the cabin I know many regular Roho users who deflate their cushion a 1/4" to a 1/2" for expansion during flight. That I think may be overkill but then I've never used a Roho.

Def. deflate roho's slightly in planes. They expand a lot just driving to the mountains, they get huge in planes.

how does it work to fly? if you can solo transfer to an aisle chair, then you can fly. or can the airline employees help you transfer?
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Quote Originally Posted by nicotico
    how does it work to fly? if you can solo transfer to an aisle chair, then you can fly. or can the airline employees help you transfer?
    Airline employees will help you. They help me transfer to the aisle chair all the time its a pain on my own because its so skinny
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

price

Man the Marriott Hotel and Spa in Mystic has better deals at times than $110. Have you tried Fairfield Inns? They are part of Marriott but no restaurants. Might also PM Kurt, another moderator for suggestions. That's near him if you mean RI. And Comfort Suites are reasonable but I don't remember their beds.
    well i figure the ramadas not bad price wise, it used to be cheaper 6 years ago, one thing i do know is the bed is accessable. funny thing is hojo's check area had no access at all, just an 8 inch curb. my point was mostly that one persons idea of accessability is another ones nightmare. one other thing is they allow droopy at the hotel, thats the nutty dog pictured to the left.
    get this one, one friday night we were getting off an exit ramp in downtown hartford and the rear brake line blew.we called aaa and they sent a tow truck and an amr wheelchair van to take me home.
    it was 10:30pm and we seen the amr van circle the in block,in short he blew us off, most amr wc driver are stoners and it was friday night.
    i called their dispatcher and she could of cared less. the tow truck driver broke the rules by towing the van with me in it. we end up at a holiday inn express and i sat up in my chair til 7 am then amr came to pick me up.
    here the kicker, the bed was accessable and they had a ROLL-IN SHOWER!