Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Scientology

Scientology

What is scientology? On the surface, the name might lead one to think that it has something to do with science. I had heard about scientology and that it is somehow linked with the science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. In the 1970's, I had read some early science fiction written by L. Ron Hubbard and didn't think much of them. In the early 1980's, L. Ron Hubbard published Battlefield Earth and Mission Earth. They were not that good. I thought scientology was some kind of science fiction fan group for Hubbard. It turned out to be much darker and awful (Source). It was a cult centered around a man who fancied himself to be Satan.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology description, scientiology was founded by American science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard in 1952, as an outgrowth of his earlier "self-help system" Dianetics. Hubbard himself characterized Scientology as an "applied religious philosophy" and the basis of a new religion. In 1954, followers of scientology organized the Church of Scientology which has a number of affiliates, including the Religious Technology Center, and organizations called WISE and ABLE. This is the description of Scientology from the wikipedia entry:
    Scientology holds that an individual is basically an immortal spiritual being that has a body and a mind. Each individual is adversely affected by forgotten decisions left over from past trauma and by stored mental energies. Scientology training and counseling aims to eliminate these adverse effects and to allow devotees to regain native spiritual abilities lost over the course of many lifetimes. Scientology claims to be applicable in all facets of life, including programs for organizational management, study skills, and drug-rehabilitation.

Scientology and the organizations that promote it have remained highly controversial since their inception. Journalists, courts, and governing bodies of several countries have alleged that the Church of Scientology is an unscrupulous commercial enterprise that harasses its critics and victimizes its members.
    There is a link between Scientology and Satanism. For example, in the wikipedia entry on Satanism (Source), there is a bizarre passage from L. Ron Hubbard Jr., the son of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, that his father

thought of himself as the Beast 666 incarnate...Aleister Crowley thought of himself as such. And when Crowley died in 1947, my father then decided that he should wear the cloak of the beast and become the most powerful being in the universe... Satanism. There was no other religion in the house! Scientology and black magic. What a lot of people don't realize is that Scientology is black magic that is just spread out over a long time period. To perform black magic generally takes a few hours or, at most, a few weeks. But in Scientology it's stretched out over a lifetime, and so you don't see it. Black magic is the inner core of Scientology --and it is probably the only part of Scientology that really works. Also, you've got to realize that my father did not worship Satan. He thought he was Satan. He was one with Satan. He had a direct pipeline of communication and power with him. My father wouldn't have worshiped anything. I mean, when you think you're the most powerful being in the universe, you have no respect for anything, let alone worship.
    Ron Hubbard thinking of himself as Satan? In an interview, his son Ron Jr. said:
    http://www.bible.ca/scientology-satanism-Hubbard-jr.htm
    Ron Jr. says that he remembers much of his childhood. He claims to recall, at six years, a vivid scene of his father performing an abortion ritual on his mother with a coat hanger.

Ron Hubbard Jr. remembers that when he was ten years old, his father, in an attempt to get his son in tune with his black magic worship, laced the young Hubbard's bubble gum with Phenobarbital. According to Ron Jr. drugs were an important part of Ron Jr.'s growing up, as his father believed that they were the best way to get closer to Satan--the Antichrist of black magic.

"In my father's private circle," Ron Jr explains, "there were lots of mistresses. When I was younger, I participated in private orgies with him and three or four other women. His theory was that one has to open or crack a woman's soul in order for the satanic power to pour through it and into him. It got kind of far out, culminating in a variety of sex acts. Dad also had an incredibly violent temper. He was into S & M and would beat his mistresses and shoot them full of drugs."

When asked by a interviewer how this "soul-cracking" worked, L Ron Hubbard Jr said, "The explanation is sort of long and complicated. The basic rationale is that there are some powers in this universe that are pretty strong.

"As an example, Hitler was involved in the same black magic and the same occult practices that my father was. The identical ones. Which, as I have said, stem clear back to before Egyptian times. It's a very secret thing. Very powerful and very workable and very dangerous.

Brainwashing is nothing compared to it. The proper term would be "soul cracking."

"It's like cracking open the soul, which then opens various doors to the power that exists, the satanic and demonic powers. Simply put, it's like a tunnel or an avenue or a doorway. Pulling that power into yourself through another person--and using women, especially is incredibly insidious.
    http://www.factnet.org/Scientology/satanism.htm

What is Satanism? Well, it turns out that there is a Church of Satan (Source, organized by Anton LaVey who said:
    "You cannot love everyone; it is ridiculous to think you can. If you love everyone and everything you lose your natural powers of selection and wind up being a pretty poor judge of character and quality. If anything is used too freely it loses its true meaning. Therefore, the Satanist believes you should love strongly and completely those who deserve your love, but never turn the other cheek to your enemy!"
    In 2001, James Lewis, a Professor at the University of Wisconsin did a study of Satanists.
    http://web.uni-marburg.de/religionsw...jr/lewis2.html
    MARBURG JOURNAL OF RELIGION
    Volume 6, No. 2 (June 2001)
    10 Pages (10.151 words)

PAGE 1

Who Serves Satan?
    A Demographic and Ideological Profile

James R. Lewis
    Dept. of Philosophy and Religious Studies
    University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, USA
    Email: Jim.Lewis@uwsp.edu

Abstract: In order to test conventional wisdom about modern Satanists, an online questionnaire was used to gather data from 140 respondents. Based on this data, a demographic and ideological profile was constructed which indicated that the statistically-average Satanist is an unmarried, white male in his mid-twenties with a few years of college. He became involved in Satanism through something he read in high school, and has been a self-identified Satanist for more than seven years. Raised Christian, he explored one non-Satanist religious group beyond the one in which he was raised before settling into Satanism. His view of Satan is some variety of non-theistic humanism and he practices magic. The length of average involvement and the often reflective responses to open-ended questions indicates that, far from being confined to adolescent rebels, many Satanists are reflective individuals who--despite the fact that youthful rebellion was usually a factor in the beginning--have come to appropriate Satanism as a mature religious option.
    In short, scientology has nothing to do with science.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-17-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Scientology is beyond strange. How people bought into shit made up in the 50s by a science fiction writer just baffles me.

Germans hate scientology. It does not recognize scientology as an official religion. Check this link out.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Scientology's Core Beliefs

"75 million years ago, there was an alien galactic ruler named Xenu who was in charge of 76 planets in our part of the galaxy, including our own planet Earth, whose name at that time was Teegeeack"

http://www.skeptictank.org/gen3/gen01985.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

A few years ago, a friend and I were just walking around the neighborhood when we passed by a place where a guy outside the storefront encouraged us to step in to get some info. I forget exactly what he said outside to us, but we weren't in a rush so figured, what the hell. They led us into a room that was like a mini theatre, with seats and a mini screen. Then the film started. It started with some sci-fi stuff, with space-ship looking thing amidst smoke, with the rest being like some double B Star-Trek wannabe movie. The film described the history, I think, of Ron Hubbard and their practice -- stressed rather, the need to buy the audio and books to move up to the next level. I forget the details, but it was like an info-mercial, and my friend and I were giggling throughout... but it was a bit weird and strange and freaky, the cult-ishness of the whole experience.

The people at the center were cool tho. Not forcing or pushing us to buy anything. But I think they were trying to encourage us to return. They were early 20's grungy college student type. Very casual like environment of the place.

We took some pamphlets and left... I think promising to come back.

It was fun for a laugh. Interesting too. ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    In short, scientology has nothing to do with science.
    While you're summarizing, you may want to note that modern Satanism has nothing to do with the Xian entity known as "Satan".

Your post seems to imply that Scientology and Satanism are dark practices that one should either be fearful or dismissive of. Neither is accurate.

Side note: when did "Wikipedia" become a valid source of information? By definition it is not a primary source and, in fact, prides itself on being democratic. Hardly scientific.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Scientology is beyond strange. How people bought into shit made up in the 50s by a science fiction writer just baffles me.
    As opposed to the crazy shit made up by Jews 2000 yrs ago?

If your religion is correct and your god appears again in the near fututre, how many people do you think will reject him for being too "new"?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Germans hate scientology. It does not recognize scientology as an official religion. Check this link out.
    Mike C,

The German Embassy web site has a detailed statement about scientology, a remarkable thing for an embassy web site. The strange thing is that Tom Cruise was involved when the German authorities refused to permit Cruise to film a story about the 1944 assassination of Hitler (Source). Apparently, scientology had problems with German from the beginning. A number of performers who are scientologists were banned from the stage. In addition to Tom Cruise, American jazz pianist Chick Corea was banned from performing in Stuttgart. The German government consider Scientology to be a "criminal organization". Some of the antagonism stems from Hubbard and his explanations of why Germany persecuted Jews. Scientology did not help its relationship with Germany by taking out full-page ads in the New York Times in 1994-1995 against Germany, using language such as "fascism on the rise again".

http://www.germany.info/relaunch/inf...ientology.html
    Background Papers

Scientology and Germany

Understanding the German View of Scientology

The German government considers the Scientology organization a commercial enterprise with a history of taking advantage of vulnerable individuals and an extreme dislike of any criticism. The government is also concerned that the organization's totalitarian structure and methods may pose a risk to Germany's democratic society. Several kinds of evidence have influenced this view of Scientology, including the organization's activities in the United States.

There are three notable American court cases involving Scientology that illustrate why Germany's concerns about this organization are justified. In the early 1980s, American courts convicted 11 top Scientologists for plotting to plant spies in federal agencies, break into government offices and bug at least one IRS meeting. In 1994, in a case involving Lawrence Wollersheim, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a California court's finding of substantial evidence that Scientology practices took place in a coercive environment and rejected Scientology's claims that the practices were protected under religious freedom guaranties. In September 1997, the Illinois Supreme Court found there was evidence enough to allege that Scientology had driven the Cult Awareness Network into bankruptcy by filing 21 lawsuits in a 17-month period. The court stated that "such a sustained onslaught of litigation can hardly be deemed 'ordinary', if [the Network] can prove that the actions were brought without probable cause and with malice."

In addition, a New York Times article on March 9, 1997, outlined "an extraordinary campaign orchestrated by Scientology against the [IRS] and people who work there. Among the findings were these: Scientology's lawyers hired private investigators to dig into the private lives of IRS officials and to conduct surveillance operations to uncover potential vulnerabilities." A related New York Times article on December 1, 1997, added that earlier IRS refusals to grant tax exemption "had been upheld by every court." (On December 30, 1997, a Wall Street Journal article outlined details of the $12.5 million tax settlement between the IRS and Scientology, including the Scientology agreement to drop thousands of lawsuits against the IRS.)

On December 1, 1997, a New York Times article described Scientology records seized in an FBI raid on church offices that prove "that Scientology had come to Clearwater with a written plan to take control of the city. Government and community organizations were infiltrated by Scientology members. Plans were undertaken to discredit and silence critics. A fake hit-and-run accident was staged in 1976 to try to ruin the political career of the mayor. A Scientologist infiltrated the local newspaper and reported on the paper's plans to her handlers." A related Times article also on Dec. 1, 1997, reported on a criminal investigation into Scientology's role in a member's death in Clearwater, Florida. In November 1998, the responsible State Attorney charged Scientology's Flag Service Organization with abuse or neglect of a disabled adult and practicing medicine without a license.

Given this background, Germany, as well as Belgium, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Israel and Mexico, remain unconvinced that Scientology is a religion.

Scientology has never disputed the neutrality of Germany's independent judicial system. In German courts, the Scientologists' cases often deal with the organization's desire for tax exemptions. The Federal Labor Court (Bundesarbeitsgericht) ruled on March 22, 1995, that the Scientology branch in Hamburg was not a religious congregation, but clearly a commercial enterprise. In its decision, the court quotes one of L. Ron Hubbard's instructions "make money, make more money -- make other people produce so as to make money" and concludes that Scientology purports to be a "church" merely as a cover to pursue its economic interests. In a November 6, 1997, decision, the Federal Administrative Court (Bundesverwaltungsgericht) sent a case back to a lower court saying it was irrelevant whether Scientology was a religion. The court stated that the Scientology organization's legal status must be judged by its level of commercial activity.

In response to numerous petitions, including those from relatives and former members and one signed by over 40,000 concerned citizens, the German Parliament (Bundestag) established a study commission to gather factual information on the goals, activities and practices of "so-called sects and psychological groups." The commission, which was not focused exclusively on Scientology, neither examined religious and ideological views nor prepared a list of groups active in Germany. Following two years of study, in June 1998 the commission issued a final report which included a recommendation that the Office for the Protection of the Constitution keep Scientology under observation (see Fact Sheet).

The Federal Government has also conducted thorough studies on the Scientology organization. Expert reports and testimony by former members confirm again and again that membership can lead to psychological and physical dependency, financial ruin and even suicide.

Because of its experiences during the Nazi regime, Germany has a special responsibility to monitor the development of any extreme group within its borders -- even when the group's members are small in number. Given the indisputable evidence that the Scientology organization has repeatedly attempted to interfere with the American government and has harmed individuals within Germany, the German federal government has responded in a very measured legal fashion to the Scientology organization. On June 6, 1997, Federal and State Ministers of the Interior asked the Office for the Protection of the Constitution (Verfassungsschutz) to formally investigate several activities of the Scientology organization and make a report. The published report presented October 12, 1998, found that while "the Scientology organization agenda and activities are marked by objectives that are fundamentally and permanently directed at abolishing the free democratic basic order," additional time is needed to conclusively evaluate the Scientology organization. The ministers approved this request for more time.

<more>
    Several well known celebrities are scientologists. As mentioned above, Tom Cruise is one. John Travolta is another. Others include Priscilla Presley and Kirstie Alley (Source). But, more interesting are writers who were critical of scientology or Hubbard (Source).
    • Isaac Asimov wrote in 1997 that "Humanity has the stars in its future, an that future is too important to be lost under the burden of jevenile folly and ignorant superstition." in the Weekend Australian, 1-2 March 197. This is in apparently inrefernce to scientology.
    • Arthur C. Clark said, "I'm afraid he went crazy and turned a lot of other people crazy", talking about L. Ron Hubbard on KFYI radio, Phoenix Arizona, 1/24/04.
    • Robert Heinlein was privately critical of Hubbard.
    • Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle had parodies of various science fiction writers in their novel Inferno and some speculated that Hubbard was the creature that was the "last word in centaurs", a trilobite. A bit subtle.
    • Gore Vidal apprently said about Hubbard, "He exuded evil, malice, and stupidity, but perfectly amiable to talk to." George Magazne, April 1997.
    • James Michener said "Scientology if frightening beyond imagination." Playboy, September 1981.

Actors also had choice remarks to make, including
    • Brad Pitt commented that he works too hard for his money to let the Church of Scientology have a large slice."
    • Elvis Presley after a visit tot he Scientology center on Sunset, "Fuck those people! There's no way I'll ever get involved with that son-of-a-bithin' group. All they want is my money."
    • Jerry Seinfeld, "Man, what is it with those Scientologists"...
    • Sharon Stone apparently left scientology and converted to Buddhism after being introduced to the Dalai Lama by Richard Gere.

So, Germany is not alone in its antipathy towards Scientology. It is astonishing how many people dislike or hate Scientology. I don't think that there is any organization that has inspired more hatred and anger. The sites range from those claiming that Scientology kills people (Source), drives them to suicide (Source), and lies about its core beliefs (Source) to those that are sarcastic mocking of the alien galactic ruler Xenu (Source) and a piercing critique in the form of advice to "scientology kids" concerning their parents (Source).

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-17-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    As opposed to the crazy shit made up by Jews 2000 yrs ago?

C.
    Jesus wasn't a Science Fiction writer that just made up strange ideas that people now believe are fact. Supposedly, Jesus performed miracles and claimed to be divine. It's based on faith whether you believe the Gospels and His divinity or not.

Believing a God created our universe and came down to our level is not nearly as bizarre as some of the ideas espoused by Scientology. Hubbard didn't even claim divinity, how the hell would he possibly know that thetans and other odd shit like that invaded cave men years ago? Scientology is not based on fact at all.

Apparently L. Ron Hubbard wrote music also. You can tell who are scientologists by the singers on his CD The Road to Freedom
    http://www.ronthemusicmaker.org/music/listen.htm