Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gimp on "Flip That House"

We are currently trying to sell our house (in Detroit) and that is the number 1 comment back, the lookers can't see past the adaptations. We have a couple of ramps that can and will be removed, and 2 stair gliders, also that will be removed. But it IS an issue. It shouldn't be, but it is. For the sake of being politically correct or for advocating for accessiblity rights we should phrase it so that it should appeal to a wider audiance. From someone who is living in a different city with no furniture and nothing to cook in while my home is on the market, we will re-write the ad to state that all accessiblity items will be removed. Sorry, Carol, but that's the real life story. Accessible doesn't sell.
    BeeBee

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    We are currently trying to sell our house (in Detroit) and that is the number 1 comment back, the lookers can't see past the adaptations. We have a couple of ramps that can and will be removed, and 2 stair gliders, also that will be removed. But it IS an issue. It shouldn't be, but it is. For the sake of being politically correct or for advocating for accessiblity rights we should phrase it so that it should appeal to a wider audiance. From someone who is living in a different city with no furniture and nothing to cook in while my home is on the market, we will re-write the ad to state that all accessiblity items will be removed. Sorry, Carol, but that's the real life story. Accessible doesn't sell.
    Tiger

The truth of the matter is. We are all disciminated against. The average person don't want to deal with disability anything. Its just a turn off for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    Agreed...we are in the same situation with our house. We ended up taking out anything about accessibility/universal design from our listing, and in the agent's comments it says our ramp can be removed if the buyer would like. I wish universal design would help with the sale...but we have definitely experienced the opposite affect.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Tiger, I can't believe what a poor reader you are! We're referring to the damn TV show, honey, and what the guy was actually talking about!

Geez, I'm stunned by how quickly you want to race into the fray. Re-read what's been said, please: the stereotype we deal with is that plegics are all of the same mindset, which we are not, clearly.

"It's my experience that many people will treat the first person they meet with a disability as somehow representative of everyone with a disability."

Uh, yeah, thanks, Tiger. You rip me then you say the same thing.

Go punch the cat or something equally productive; your reading skills are really slipping.
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.