Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gimp on "Flip That House"

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman
    Tiger

Why would he want to bring up accessibility when he wasn't trying to build a house suited for a wheelchair. This is all about making money.
    The comments to follow are not addressed to the specific situation discussed here, I have not seen the show. But, in general...

Once one is aware of the small, inexpensive things that can be done to provide wheelchair access, it is disapointing when they are ignored. It is doubly disapoitning when these barriers are not addressed by someone who knows first-hand the impact of leaving them intact.

Access should be promoted at every opportunity - it is the only way things will change. One does not need to be a zealot, but silence is a squandered opportunity to do the right thing.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    The comments to follow are not addressed to the specific situation discussed here, I have not seen the show. But, in general...

Once one is aware of the small, inexpensive things that can be done to provide wheelchair access, it is disapointing when they are ignored. It is doubly disapoitning when these barriers are not addressed by someone who knows first-hand the impact of leaving them intact.

Access should be promoted at every opportunity - it is the only way things will change. One does not need to be a zealot, but silence is a squandered opportunity to do the right thing.
    Foolish

Good point! But I don't know if you ever watch this show. The whole point of this show is to fine a house and fix it up, and sell it in the quickest and most profitable time.

Show like this can really help him in getting financing for future deals.

a wider door might add be $20 more , depending on the door. 10 doors in the house $200. i'm sure if they asked the guy he would of chipped in the $200. when i rehab my house i put in all 36" doors out and inside. inside doors where press panel doors , like $20 dollars more than a 32" door.i have 10 inside doors , not alot and they look alot nicer. you go past 36" door than thats a new ballgame. when i did the rehab , i wasn't in a chair , i did it for looks.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman
    Why would he want to bring up accessibility when he wasn't trying to build a house suited for a wheelchair. This is all about making money.
    Again, there are any number of accessible design features that do not add to the cost of doing something and even those were ignored. Also, the more accessible a home is, the more potential buyers there will be. Lastly, it's just the right thing to do.

I've seen other flippers making a point of being environmentally conscious even if the up front cost is more. So why do you keep arguing against doing things that don't cost more?

C.

I saw the episode (love the show) and I think you're right, Rainman. Guy's just trying to make a buck.

There's always something implied and thus expected from plegics, that we're to 'stay in character' wherever we go and whatever we do. By that I mean, and in this instance, the guy is expected to be 'all things disabled' and have some sort of stenoscopic, singular focus: he's expected to 'represent' everybody in a chair, and is criticized when he doesn't.

I get that treatment consistently. Simply from being seen in this chair, it's assumed I:
    1) hate Bush
    2) support stem cells
    3) am looking for a hand-out/want special treatment
    4) am bitter and resentful, "Life must be so hard, you poor thing!"
    Yeah, it is, but I'm not bitter or resentful.

I remember a couple three years ago, after the big Clint Eastwood incident and the righteous woman suing him; I was asked on Weaver's show then HOW MANY LAWSUITS I INITIATED OVER MY ADA RIGHTS!

I replied, "Uh, none, I think the nation's doin' a good job of making things accessible."

The interviewer was floored. "But don't you support her lawsuit?"

"Nah, hell, it's bogus, leave Clint alone or, better yet, go talk to him in private about whatever changes need to be made and I'm sure he'd agree. Who wants to get sued?"

I don't recall her exact words but it was to the effect of, "I just assumed you'd be in support of any lawsuit which could help YOU PEOPLE!"

I was gracious but the remark lingered: you people. Like we all share the same traits and beliefs. Thanks...

Let the guy make his money without having to drag out the plegic banner.
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Accessible features are not neccessarily more expensive and will actually broaden one's market.

C.
    A friend of mine experienced the opposite when her accessible house went on the market. The value of the house and our housing market at the time (hard to believe Vancouver had a down market!) made her target market wealthy Asians. They just don't like the stigma of a disability hanging in the air. I couldn't believe the agent but as it turned out she was right.

Quote Originally Posted by vgrafen
    I saw the episode (love the show) and I think you're right, Rainman. Guy's just trying to make a buck.

There's always something implied and thus expected from plegics, that we're to 'stay in character' wherever we go and whatever we do. By that I mean, and in this instance, the guy is expected to be 'all things disabled' and have some sort of stenoscopic, singular focus: he's expected to 'represent' everybody in a chair, and is criticized when he doesn't.

I get that treatment consistently. Simply from being seen in this chair, it's assumed I:
    1) hate Bush
    2) support stem cells
    3) am looking for a hand-out/want special treatment
    4) am bitter and resentful, "Life must be so hard, you poor thing!"
    Yeah, it is, but I'm not bitter or resentful.

I remember a couple three years ago, after the big Clint Eastwood incident and the righteous woman suing him; I was asked on Weaver's show then HOW MANY LAWSUITS I INITIATED OVER MY ADA RIGHTS!

I replied, "Uh, none, I think the nation's doin' a good job of making things accessible."

The interviewer was floored. "But don't you support her lawsuit?"

"Nah, hell, it's bogus, leave Clint alone or, better yet, go talk to him in private about whatever changes need to be made and I'm sure he'd agree. Who wants to get sued?"

I don't recall her exact words but it was to the effect of, "I just assumed you'd be in support of any lawsuit which could help YOU PEOPLE!"

I was gracious but the remark lingered: you people. Like we all share the same traits and beliefs. Thanks...

Let the guy make his money without having to drag out the plegic banner.
    V

Thanks! You said it perfectly. I get the same treatment.

IS the argument being made here that one should not advocate that universal design is a good idea? The connection to hating Bush and wanting handouts and being bitter is hard to follow and seems strained and irrelevant. Universal design elements need not conflict with turning a profit if common sense is employed.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Based on what they guy said at the very end of the show, it's possible that he specifically did not want to talk about accessibility for fear of it being the focus, but it was still disappointing that the issue was never mentioned at all. At least not that I heard.

Foolish

That paragraph was taken from tigers post and thats what we were referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad
    A friend of mine experienced the opposite when her accessible house went on the market. The value of the house and our housing market at the time (hard to believe Vancouver had a down market!) made her target market wealthy Asians. They just don't like the stigma of a disability hanging in the air.
    Whoever marketed their house did it wrong. The keywords are "universal design". The idea is to make things easier for everyone. No need to even mention disability.

Quote Originally Posted by vgrafen
    Oh, please. Nobody here is demanding that anyone be 'all things disabled'. Stem cells are a moral issue that has nothing to do with one's ability to function on a daily basis, but being able to move in and out and around one's environment is a fundamental issue that affects everyone, everyday. This is so basic, that I'm shocked that anyone with a disability would act like it's prejudiced or in any way a stretch to think that a quadriplegic might incorporate features that make life easier for everyone, especially when they don't cost more.

It's my experience that many people will treat the first person they meet with a disability as somehow representative of everyone with a disability. In fact, I take that responsibility seriously and do my best to make a good first impression. I don't want to be defined by my disability, but I also don't want it to be ignored to my detriment, when acknowledging it would benefit not only me, but a great many others.

Pull handles on cabinets instead of knobs... who here wants to argue against that?

C.