Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gimp on "Flip That House"

Gimp on "Flip That House"

Anybody see the episode with the quad and his friend renovating a house in South Carolina? It's just starting here, so I'm curious as to whether he's going to make it wheelchair accessible.

C.

I saw the tail end of it last night. Didn't look "accessable" other than it was a single story and his chair was narrow enough to get thru the doors. For the front steps he had a wide sheet of plywood over them. Looked like he was SCI-quad, based on hand function. House was beautiful when he was done.
    BeeBee

The house looked great but was nowhere near accessible.

yup. saw that too. he could barely go through the doors. it didn't have to be all out, but wider doors and at least a ramp would be good.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Well if he was going to flip it for a profit making it accessible would have cost him more & narrowed his market wouldn't it? I can see making it accessible if the house was for him but for a quick flip??

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Well if he was going to flip it for a profit making it accessible would have cost him more & narrowed his market wouldn't it?
    Accessible features are not neccessarily more expensive and will actually broaden one's market. Yes, widening doorways would add cost, but not everything does. Pull handles instead of knobs on cabinets, levers on doors, different counter heights in the kitchen... those are simple things that he could have done, but didn't.

Based on what they guy said at the very end of the show, it's possible that he specifically did not want to talk about accessibility for fear of it being the focus, but it was still disappointing that the issue was never mentioned at all. At least not that I heard.

When my husband and I move to our new house, we are going to renovate and sell the condo we've been living in. Since I've lived here since 1990, it's obviously accessible enough for a para, but I plan to incorporate more universal design features in the remodel, especially in the kitchen. When we market the property, I want the fact that it is accessible to be promoted.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Accessible features are not neccessarily more expensive and will actually broaden one's market. Yes, widening doorways would add cost, but not everything does. Pull handles instead of knobs on cabinets, levers on doors, different counter heights in the kitchen... those are simple things that he could have done, but didn't.

Based on what they guy said at the very end of the show, it's possible that he specifically did not want to talk about accessibility for fear of it being the focus, but it was still disappointing that the issue was never mentioned at all. At least not that I heard.

When my husband and I move to our new house, we are going to renovate and sell the condo we've been living in. Since I've lived here since 1990, it's obviously accessible enough for a para, but I plan to incorporate more universal design features in the remodel, especially in the kitchen. When we market the property, I want the fact that it is accessible to be promoted.

C.
    Tiger

He did the right thing on not bringing up his disability. His disability had nothing to do with flipping this house. If he wants to be respected by his peers he needs not to use his disability as a crutch. Now if it was a show on over coming life's challenges then bring up the disability issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman
    He did the right thing on not bringing up his disability. His disability had nothing to do with flipping this house.
    When did I say that he should have brought up his disability? I said that he should have brought up the issue of ACCESSIBILITY.

C.

I don't think it was accessible at all. I was disappointed, but not surprised.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    When did I say that he should have brought up his disability? I said that he should have brought up the issue of ACCESSIBILITY.

C.
    Tiger

Why would he want to bring up accessibility when he wasn't trying to build a house suited for a wheelchair. This is all about making money.