Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird internet problem

Weird internet problem

Well it was to me at least. I had gotton on the computer, went cc and after clicking on a few threads IE started opening new windows each time I clicked on next page. Then the words started, well running or turning into gibberesh. I kept hearing the clicking too when I wasn't opening new windows. I freaked and thought maybe it was a virus so I got off the net [although when I clicked on McAfee security center IE would open instead] ran a full scan which found nothing. I shutdown, turned off the cable modem and rebooted. I checked my firewall settings, it was on standard so I decided to change it to tight. I then turned on the modem box got on the internet and everything is fine. What the heck do you think happened? Is this a sign for me to stop being lazy and get firefox already

Oh about 3 weeks ago my McAFee subsription ran out and they wanted like $150 so I instead downloaded Comcast's version since it's free for me. It seems to download the same amount of updates as my previous version.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

The words running together sounds like a bug in the video card driver. You might try updating to the latest version.

But the IE openning, sounds gibberish makes me think Spyware/virus.

If you have a root kit, a scanner won't find it.

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/small_la.shtml is a rootkit scanner.

Blog Entries
    Yepper, what they said first.
    Second, I have had weird things happen and found I had a stuck key on the keyboard before, tho not exactly what you have going on.
    You couldn't PAY me to use McAfee or Norton.
    Get AVAST(my choice) or AVG. Both are free and AVAST has the smallest footprint. Plus it is modular and you can shutdown those you don't need/use.
    Third, you can't pay me to use IE either. I use OPERA, the best browser in my opinion. I have used it since 97 or 98. Uses a lot less resources and isn't as vulnerable/targeted as IE.

I also echo the suggestions to ditch the expensive anti-virus and get AVG free edition. They also have a free rootkit scanner and free anti-spyware scanner. Here's the links you want (or go with the other guys' suggestions, they're good too).

AVG AntiVirus
    AVG Anti Spyware
    AVG Rootkit Detector

And definitely switch to Firefox, for lots of reasons, though it is far from invulnerable to attack. Opera is an excellent browser too, I used it exclusively for a couple years.

There was an advisory from Microsoft a couple days ago that one of their automatic updates to the .NET framework could cause erratic behavior in many applications until the computer was rebooted, so it's possible your computer updated while you were using it and you started seeing problems from that. In any case, with Windows, you have to have virus, spyware, and rootkit protection at all times!

Oh about 3 weeks ago my McAFee subsription ran out and they wanted like $150 so I instead downloaded Comcast's version since it's free for me.
    $150 seems a little steep.

eEye Blink:

May replace all security software with one package.
    Normal antivirus and antispyware software required constantly updating definitions.
    Blink simply looks for activity typical of spyware/viruses and stops it.
    The government even uses this software.
    Neighborhood Watch edition is absolutely free.
    Does not use definitions.
    When “updating” it is actually building its database of suspicious activity.
    Personal Edition is free for one year, and then $22.

http://www.eeye.com/html/consumer/pr...ink/index.html
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Avast! updates frequently (sometimes too frequently- everything freezes for about 15 seconds till it says you've just finished getting an update). Firefox is my best choice for a browser. Works smooth, and doesn't get in my way- I wouldn't use IE if my HD was on fire.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

AVG does too.

BTW IE 7 is reported to be as secur as all your designer/jump on the bandwagon browsers.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    AVG does too.

BTW IE 7 is reported to be as secur as all your designer/jump on the bandwagon browsers.
    Yeah, AVG updates just about every time I start up my Windows box, but then I've never used AVAST, I'm sure it's good too based on comments from trusted sources.

And I agree on the browser thing as well. I strongly endorse Firefox for lots of reasons, but not necessarily for security. That's mostly a myth propagated by free and open software nuts. (I am a free and open software nut.) But you can never trust your choice of browser to keep your computer secure. You need good anti-virus and anti-spyware running all the time.

And ever better, Learn to surf/operate smartly.

A huge portion of issues are due to human error.