Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Rally for Cure in Chicago

The Rally for Cure in Chicago

Join us in Chicago at Navy Pier on Sunday September 9th 2007 for Rally for the Cure. This event will benefit the SCI research of Dr. Wise Young of the W.M. Keck Center and Dr. John Kessler of Northwestern.
    2:30-4:30 PM Research Updates by Dr. Young and Dr. Kessler
    5:00-7:30 Award ceremony, food and drinks and a performance by Second City Comedy, and IRL Team Owner Sam Schmidt
    Tickets and additional information on-line at www.nextstepschicago.com

Anyone interested in helping to promote the event can be forwarded some marketing material by e-mailing Jon
    at nextsteps1@aol.com

Anyone interested in donating silent auction items please contact me

Please purchase tickets early if you intend to go
    Last edited by P-40; 07-20-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Sounds great, except for the closest parking is 4 blocks away complete with some hairy 'curb-cut' elevations to deal with. Anyone got a power chair and a van I can borrow?

After a bit more thought...there are a few service parking areas off of the North service drive on the pier, would any of those be made available?

Arrangements will be made with the Navy pier authority for our event. We will be able to drive all the way back to the grand ballroom area. I will be able to e-mail explicit driving instructions closer to the event.
    Jon O'Connor

Great idea and good luck! Every effort towards the cure is a good effort!

I wish I could go. I went to Chicago many times before this injury. Now I'm broke but will be back. I was wondering about accessibility there. Big cities somewhat intimidate me now. ):
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by P-40
    Arrangements will be made with the Navy pier authority for our event. We will be able to drive all the way back to the grand ballroom area. I will be able to e-mail explicit driving instructions closer to the event.
    Jon O'Connor
    What do you mean "driving back to..."? Is there something held at another location prior to event at the Pier?

FYI. There is plenty of parking in garage/lot, that leads right into the venues, that's also connected to other venues, shops, restaurants, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I wish I could go. I went to Chicago many times before this injury. Now I'm broke but will be back. I was wondering about accessibility there. Big cities somewhat intimidate me now. ):
    It's pretty accessible, especially at the Pier. If you are more specific about area you were curious about, I can give you more info. But the city itself, downtown, lakefront, etc, is very accessible. The more local neighborhoods may not be as accessible, but still have many places to visit within those areas that are accessible. Summer months, there are outdoor cafe's everywhere, so even many inaccessible places to eat/drink are w/c friendly. If you haven't been there in a few years, and you love shopping, Michigan Ave. has been made more accessible, with sidewalks widened as well.
    Last edited by chick; 07-15-2007 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    FYI. There is plenty of parking in garage/lot, that leads right into the venues, that's also connected to other venues, shops, restaurants, etc.
    Which one? My memory recalls only those lots behind the police station and the north service drive garages (commercial vehicles only). But if you know of more, where? (I usually took a taxi/walked before so I'm not too up on other parking)

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    It's pretty accessible, especially at the Pier. If you are more specific about area you were curious about, I can give you more info. But the city itself, downtown, lakefront, etc, is very accessible. The more local neighborhoods may not be as accessible, but still have many places to visit within those areas that are accessible. Summer months, there are outdoor cafe's everywhere, so even many inaccessible places to eat/drink are w/c friendly. If you haven't been there in a few years, and you love shopping, Michigan Ave. has been made more accessible, with sidewalks widened as well.
    Thanks Chick
    Last time I was there was exactly one month before my wreck in '05. DId all the touristy stuff then. Several trips before that, once in college and a few for work. I just like the museums, big city buildings, architecture. Not any particular area that I can ask about right now. I'll be back when I get some more money. Flying there is fairly cheap $49 on southwest right now. Maybe next year.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.