Thread: Chair types?

Chair types?

I'm working on replacing my 11 year old Action Arrow belt driven chair. However, the biggest hurdle is that the chair can't be any longer than 47 inches, including my feet/shoes sticking over the foot rests and vent in the back. Any longer, I can't get into several elevators that I frequently use.

Since August 2006, I've been working with a company that found a chair, a StormTDX. After 8 months, it was decided that it wouldn't work for my length requirements. The company has been looking since April, but no luck so far.

So, does anyone know of any possibilities that would work? My current system was brought to Colorado and completely rebuilt to meet my requirements, that company is now out of business.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Don't feel like your post has been ignored. I've been doing some looking, but 47" with a vent tray is going to be tough. I did get a TDX SP with tilt and a center mount footboard to be 43" long, but I don't know if you'd be able to do a vent and keep it <47".
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 07-12-2007 at 10:41 PM.

powerchair

have you looked at a Superstand? the full powered model is 41 inches.
    my size 12 feet stick over 3 inches and there is room for a vent tray on the back. i guess it would depend on how big your vent is.
    www.thestandingcompany.com
    i could show it to you if you choose.

Thanks for the replies, I thought this was buried by now, so I hadn't looked. My vent is about 9x12x12, according to the web site and is actually almost the exact model Christopher Reeve used. Much smaller vents do exist, but they are extremely noisy and last 3-4 hours on battery, which isn't enough for my outings.

Can I see the superstand Swany? It sounds like it could be interesting.

None of these pictures are very good, but they give half a view of my current system.

superstand

you bet we can get together.
    send me a private message with your number

Has anyone heard of a Permobil? It looks like a short frame to start with, so it may work.

Another wrinkle was just realized as well, my insurance will only pay for $10,000 of durable equipment, of which I use about half for other supplies throughout the year. So not only is the chair a problem, but funding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    Has anyone heard of a Permobil? It looks like a short frame to start with, so it may work.

Another wrinkle was just realized as well, my insurance will only pay for $10,000 of durable equipment, of which I use about half for other supplies throughout the year. So not only is the chair a problem, but funding as well.
    A vent tray and a vent shelf are available on the C300 Corpus. The C300 is 43 long and the length may be less than 47" with the vent shelf.

Permobil makes a very good chin control as well. Here's one I did last year...

Permobil makes nice powerchairs, but they are also expensive. It sounds like funding would be a major problem.

It looks very good. Hopefully some sort of funding can be found between insurance, title 19 and anything else. Thanks.

Chad has a permobil C500 - he doesn't use a vent, and I don't know how long it is, but I'll measure it next time I find my measuring tape! Chad had a custom headrest and chin control put on. Here is the chair. ETA: it cost $42,147!!!

Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager