Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't ya just hate.....

how does one manage driving alone and having a wheelchair??

are you wanting to drive?

depending on the vehicle, and the chair, its not hard to learn how to use hand controls.
    you need to learn how to transfer in and out of the car by yourself, get your chair in and out ok, then your biggest problem is finding parking.

Well out here on the Oregon coast it rains 60 inch's a year, so you just get used to getting wet. I noticed that my new hand cycle front tire throws alot of water at me as well. There must be some way to put on a front fender
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I use a full sized Ford van becasuse I'm an old codger. I keep 3 or 4 ponchos in van, backpack, home, etc. Just flip poncho over your head and over backrest to keep that dry and your good to go. Easy to take off once inside and stow in backpack after drying it out. I used gallon sized ziplock bag to store poncho in backpack. I don't think this system would work well transferring from carseat to chair. Chair and cushion would be soaked before you could effect transfer and if you attempted transfer w poncho partially on you would probably get tangled in poncho mid-transfer.

i invented an umbrella holder that attaches to the chair, so i can still have coverage when i get in and out. working on one for the car itself tho
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    i invented an umbrella holder that attaches to the chair, so i can still have coverage when i get in and out. working on one for the car itself tho
    I could use one of those!

Getting in and out of the car if you use a board is a bloody nightmare in the rain, it only takes a few raindrops and sliding becomes impossible leaving your pants stuck to the board and you bare arsed in your chair.

here it only rains and not very often for only 3 months a year.
    i guess i miss the rain, at least i can enjoy being indoors.

i dont have a wc...i was just curious.

I walk pretty slowly with a cane, still unsteady.

how are your reflexes? can you hold down the gas and brake pedal with a foot? I had to switch to automatic transmission when I startded driving after injury. I am able to drive in with maffo's on both feet, but not for extended driving or when I have clonus.
    My walking is slow and not attractive, but I drive some without a problem.

not recently though, as lack of food has made me too unsteady, so I guess you just have to know your limits and know what you are safely able to do as far as driving again goes.

I haven't tried driving yet...i'm living with my parents, with my mom all the time mostly, and safety is her number one concern. No way she's letting me get in the drivers seat anytime soon.
    I can probably hold it down, by having to push with my leg. I have very little push in my feet. I WILL STAND ON MY TIPPY TOES AGAIN!!

thanks jody, i wish i could send you some food.