Thread: Appendicitis

Appendicitis

I was wondering if anyone here with a sci has had an Appendicitis. What did it feel like? Did you get AD? I'm a C5-6 complete and yesterday afternoon I started to have a feeling of pain in my abdomen. It's not severe though, it's just bothering me because I don't know what's causing it, and I don't have any AD.
    Thanks for the help.

Many people who do not have sensory sparing and have injuries above the mid-thoracic level will not have any sensation of pain with even fairly severe abdominal pathology such as appendicitis, diverticulitis, gall bladder attacks, etc. etc.

Common symptoms found in these problems with these folks with SCI will be AD with no other discoverable cause, nausea, vomiting, and fever. Ultrasound can usually be used to diagnose or rule out appendicitis or an enlarged gall bladder, but many times it takes someone continuing to rule out all other possible causes for the AD to make these diagnoses.

This is why AD should never be ignored, or simply treated with meds without knowing what the actual cause is, and if possible, correcting it.

If your pain gets worse, or does not get better, call your physician and ask for an examination (in person) or go to the ER.

(KLD)