Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Malone Procedure

The Malone Procedure

After reading all the posts on problems with the bowel routine etc., I have decided to tell our story about the Malone Procedure. Our son is now 22, injured at 15, and had the Malone Procedure done in December. It is truly the biggest improvement in all of our lives. He can now be independant, (He is T7) and the surgery went off without a hitch. He stayed one night in the hospital and had to wait a couple of weeks before using the new method. It has worked great, it is a very thorough cleaning of the colon and we have not had even one problem with it. He works and goes to school full time and I am sure the peace of mind is giving him more confidence than we can imagine. We stumbled upon this procedure while considering a colostomy, and we are ever so grateful to have found the right doctor to perform this surgery on him. There are no appliances to wear on your body with this, he inserts a little tube into his belly button and hooks on an I.V. bag with 600 ml of warm water, a little salt and a little glycerin. When he is not using it you would never be able to tell he had anything done at all. The belly button looks completely normal and there are no signs of any surgery having been done. I know there are some horror stories on here about this procedure, and I really felt the need to get the word out on our story. It has truly changed the dreaded bowel routine, and we are all thrilled with the results. If anybody has questions, please ask. When I think back to using the magic bullets I shudder at the way we used to do things. This is a life changer for us and I hope others will read it and maybe use the information to make their own lives easier. We live in Ohio and if anyone needs more information on doctors etc., please let me know. Sorry for the long post but I felt like this needed to be said. : ) Thanks.

I've never heard of this. Your bm comes out your belly button?

No, it comes out the rectum. It is flushed out of the colon via a tube inserted into the belly button. The water solution runs through the tube and through the colon and out. It is so much simpler and a much more thorough cleaning out than we got using the magic bullets. No worry with accidents afterward, it is such an improvement over the previous method.

Who did the procedure?

Thanks for sharing that story about your son. That must feel so great to gain that freedom and control.

Hmmm. An enema through the belly button. No problems with backup, leakage, or gas?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

It was done by a doctor in Cincinnati, Ohio. He is a colon/rectal surgeon who does surgery at Cincinnati Children's Hospital, even though my son is considered an adult. His name is Dr. Levitt. There are absolutely no problems with backup, leakage, or gas. There have been no problems whatsoever. That is why I felt I needed to share this, we are surprised to know that such an option is available and yet we just learned of it. We wish we had known sooner.
    Last edited by cameljoe; 04-19-2009 at 05:11 PM.

How long is your son's BM cameljoe? Can you give an estimate compared to using the magic bullet?
    thanks, glad you son is happy with the procedure
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Oh my that gave me the heeby jeebys (msp).
    It's sounds like ya'll love it and it works great but it makes my stomach flip.
    Sorry just something new.

Here's an old CC thread on this subject:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=5722
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!