Thread: Shallow kitchen sinks

Shallow kitchen sinks

I am having trouble finding a suitable kitchen sink for my kitchen reno. I am looking for an undermount sink that is 6 inches or less deep to make sure my knees will fit. Stainless steel is probably what I will go with. Does anyone have or have you seen such a sink.

I have seen some 7 inch deep sinks that might work but they might be cutting it close.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B
    I am having trouble finding a suitable kitchen sink for my kitchen reno. I am looking for an undermount sink that is 6 inches or less deep to make sure my knees will fit.
    6" or less? That doesn't really sound functional. Kohler makes one that is less than 7" though.

C.

I am looking at sinks too, and am hoping to get away with 8 inches. I have some links on my laptop, and will check them later. I know I found some very shallow ones, but agree with TR, to shallow isn;t going to be functional.

TR .... what is the depth of the sink in your new kitchen? (Also counter height?)
    Last edited by sjean423; 07-12-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    what is the depth of the sink in your new kitchen? (Also counter height?)
    I don't remember off the top of my head, but my husband might. I'll ask him when I talk to him later today (he's out of town at a race). Generally speaking, the counter is an "average" height. It's not lowered along that wall and the sink itself is at least 10" deep on the one side. I ordered it off eBay and when it showed up we were worried at first that it was too big. Turned out to be a perfect fit though.

C.
    Last edited by Tiger Racing; 07-12-2007 at 06:21 PM.

My bowl is shallow but workable. Additionally, the drains are shifted to the back instead of in the center of the bowl. That gives me more room for my knees. I got it at Home Depot. It is composite material and comes in white and black as far as I know. When I can get out of bed (pressure sore), I'll get the brand name for you.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Our counter will be lowered a bit there, so we need to go shallow as well. We were looking at 7" I think. ANd found more than one at Lowes. One similar to this kohler (7 1/2" at Lowes) and is was our latest plan, with a cutting board shaped to fit one of the sinks, giving me a place to cut veggies and such, at a good height.

Googling.

PSS604 is 6"

At Kindred sinks.

And this one is by American Standard also 6 inch .
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    6" or less? That doesn't really sound functional. Kohler makes one that is less than 7" though.

C.
    My current sink is 5" deep and works fine. It is a drop in sink though and we are looking for an undermount. We find that regular 9 and 10" deep sinks now seem too deep.

I have long lower legs, so my knees are pretty high and need a shallow sink to fit under without touching.

That Kohler sink looks a bit like something that is meant to be peed in rathar than used as a kitchen sink.

Thanks for the replies so far.

To be more specific, I am looking for a stainless steel double bowl undermount.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 07-13-2007 at 01:13 PM.