Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lokomat/Pediatric Lokomat Locations Worldwide

I was lucky to have been in Lokomat therapy, had 12 session for 20min each time. I had it while i was at Weisserhof Rehabilitation center in Vienna.
    Lokomat is a great help specially for patients with spasm. Before i had the Lokomat, it was difficult for me to train on walking due to very bad spasm. I am happy with lokomat therapy and looking forward to make this again in my next rehabilitation in fall. I'm C7/T1 incomplete due to car accident in October2007. I can now walk so far 60m/4min straight using arm crutches, and so proud of this achievement.
    "thanks GOD i'm still alive"

lokomat

I was using the lokomat at the Willow springs location for about a month. I was paying about 105 for an hour out of my pocket. I loved it. It made me feel better just looking in the mirrior upright and walking. You get straped into a machine which has attachments for ur legs that allows them to move like you did prior sci. The operator alos decreases the help to allow you to work on the strengthing of your own legs. The staff at Willow spsrings is excellant. I am tring to go back but I have to see schedule wise with me being back to work.

Emily das ist ja ganz toll! RJP, what kind of results did you get after that month of training?
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Hi Mike Grüße aus Wien!!!!! Looking back 8mo ago i couldnt imagine i could get this far. A tragic car accident leave me with a broken finger, a broken collar bone at my left, and made me C7 T1 incomplete. my legs were totally dead during the first days at the hospital. Being able to walk with arm crutches for a few meters was the biggest result in months of therapy and hard training.
    "thanks GOD i'm still alive"

Wow!
    I am new t this forum, and already have such inspiration from what I have read! I am L1-T12, one year ago, I swim and use standing frame but that is pretty much it. This new equipment sounds super, I am going to try it out hopefully someday soon!

locomat

Yes I used the one in Willow Spings, I am a L1 burst fracture and I believe it helped me alot. I use the chair mostly but am walking with leg braces and walker for about 165 feet or so. The locomat basically is a robotic machine that allows you to walk like before. They control the machine to allow you the help you need and then start lowering the help so you are doing the movement. I paid I believe 185 for first hr and then 150 for the next. I would also do a exercise bike while I was there as well. I recommend it if you have the oppurtunity.

Smile john mostyn

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    I have an appointment for eval. and to begin the steps to get my insurance to approve some training time on the locomat in Portland, OR. I expect to get some time and will post about my experience if it works out. I am also t-12 (with some return and no spasms).
    hi my name is john iam a t11-t12 complete spinal cord injury but can move my left big teo and the other toes could you tell me what you can move iknow every injury is diffrent i am also considering having stem cells could you give me your views on this to thank you

Quote Originally Posted by john mostyn View Post
    hi my name is john iam a t11-t12 complete spinal cord injury but can move my left big teo and the other toes could you tell me what you can move iknow every injury is diffrent i am also considering having stem cells could you give me your views on this to thank you
    John,

I actually have gotten much return in my legs as I have exercised and worked hard for over a year with coaching of trainers at "Adapt Advanced" (which used to be a "Project Walk" facility). I can use adductors, some quads, abductors and a little glutes and hamstring. Nothing below my knees and no bowel or bladder. I have spotty sensation of light touch and pain/temperature.

I got some benefit from Lokomat, but where we are, the PTs don't have a lot of experience in spinal cord injury patients and I got frustrated with all the time/work it took to get there, change clothes and get set up for it. Basically it was over 4 hrs. of my day, lots of gas $ and only 30 mins on the machine. I may go back after a while, but I get much more out of my 2 hr workout at Adapt. Its worth the half day. If you can put the energy into it, it is good. Make sure they/you watch for pressure damage on your skin. The straps they use on their harness and the shin straps were painful and threatening to my skin.

Where do they have the machine you would go to?

As for stem cells, I am waiting, as was the last recommendation of Dr. Wise that I read (although its been a while...) until there is more evidence of success and seeing that there's not something painful or unhealthy that grows??? I'm not super informed to tell you the truth!

Good luck

Cool lokomat useless for walking quads

recovery from sci can advance for about 2-3 years and thats about it. there are minor function return over the following years Trust me I am awalking quad post 17 years. Hard work is one thing, but if the connection to the muscle is not there you can exercise till the cows come home and it won't matter

lokomat is for some but it is not a cure. As a walking quad the drs at R.I.C here in Chicago say i am way too advanced to use this system. It is a great exercise device, but it will not restore function. it will strenghten the muscles you already have that's it. walking in water or a treadmill(if you can) is a much cheaper if not better alternative!
    Last edited by znop; 10-31-2008 at 02:34 PM.

I am in Seattle, have been using the Lokomat at Pushing Boundaries in Redmond since 12/26. I have mixed feelings about its benefits compared to other exercise and PT. I am curious about your opinion of Adapt.