Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Side Door Problem on Chrysler van/Braun Entervan

Auto Side Door Problem on Chrysler van/Braun Entervan

Hi all,
    I have a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country/Braun Entervan that I'm having a problem with. The problem started three weeks ago when my friend tried to open the side door and put the ramp down using the switch on the dash. I could see the gear rack moving but the door remained closed. The gear rack moved approximately 2 inches before the door popped open and opened it smoothly all the way after that. The problem got worse where the gear rack would bend quite a bit before the door opened. The dealer I bought the van from said it's most likely a problem with the rear track of that door and I should take it to my local Chrysler service center to have the rear track checked out. The mechanic put the ramp in manual mode so he could open and close it manually and the door seemed to roll smoothly on its tracks and had no problems opening or closing.

The mechanic felt that the bar that goes between the gear rack and the door was bent and he tried to bend it back but this did not fix the problem. I've found that if I opened the side door inch by inch for those first few inches of travel I wouldn't have any problems with the door getting stuck. The problem did go away for a short time but now it's starting up again and seems to be worse. Does anyone know what might be causing this and what the fix is? There are a couple of vendors close to my home but I don't trust either of them. The vendor that I usually deal with and bought this van from is a little over an hour away so I'm hoping this might be a fairly easy fix, I have a couple of friends that are mechanics that might be able to help out. Thanks in advance for any info!

Try going to IMS's site Braun mobilityand doing it vendor search and just calling a couple and telling your problem to them. Maybe they can give you an easy fix. I also have a 2000 Town & Country and the only problem I have with the door is actually the latch when it tries to close, there is a solenoid that catches the lock when the door closes to hold the door shut. I am in Texas, and I use Advanced Mobility Systems you can might give them a call. I have been doing business with and since they opened up over 15 years ago.
    Good luck, I wish I had more to offer.
    Cripp
    Last edited by crppled007; 07-12-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Same problem

Hi,
    I have the same problem with my 2000 Entervan. The bend in the bar is the reason for the binding. The bend was probably caused when the door was trying to open but hit an obstruction. The Entervan does not automatically reverse or stop when an obstruction is encountered but tries its best to open. This causes the bar to bend. Removing the bend helps but once the bar has bent it has lost some if its strength and will vibrate when opening and closing sometimes causing the sticking situation. Replacing the bar at a Braun authorixed dealrer is the best solution....

97 Entervan

I have the same problem. Did you ever solve yours?

Was it very cold out when this problem started? If so, your door was probably frozen to the weather stripping which cause the bracket to bend when the door tried to open. To prevent your doors from freezing shut. I use silicone on all the door weather stripping before it gets cold out and ever after cars washes. Using silicone removes moisture from the weather strippings and prevent the door from freezing shut. The best silicone i found is made by Liquid Wrench. Spay it on a rag and wipe down all the door seals. Trust me it works.

Using silicone on your gaskets is a great tip!

I will keep the gasket happy and your mobility van's power door opener happy.

As too the older Braun Entervan van door opener bar bending, if it's not bent too bad it can be taken off and straightened.

Although after it's been straightened a few times you better off replacing it.

Another thing to check is the bottom roller on the sliding side door. A lot of times it's frozen solid and just dragging (to the point where it grinds away to nothing)

This will cause the Braun gear operated door opener to give you problems.

Additionally there are a bunch of additional little things that will cause your door to give you a problem and your best bet is to find a local mobility dealer experienced with all the small idiosyncrasies of this style Braun power door opener.

All things considered I think they have and continue to hold up well.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

You can go to Greenwich Automotive Services in Port Chester or Bussani in Mamaroneck.

I trust Bussani more in terms of expertise. GAS just has car mechanics who do mobility stuff as a sideline. Bussani would love to sell you a newer van because they love the $$$$.

Thanks. It is possible it was frozen door trim. It is also possible it might be the lower roller. You see I just bought this '97 Grand Caravan Entervan...with only 55k miles! $6500...It was so pristine and cheap I could not turn it down. My old GC had an IMS conversion, and about a billion miles on it. Very reliable van and conversion. Door design sucks, but it is easily fixable.

But the "new" '97 does have a couple issues. One is this door bar and the other is the remote receiver is maybe fried.

On the door bar, if one of you have an Entervan about this year, could you peek over the folded ramp and snap a photo of what a working one looks like? My bar has obviously been bent...several times. But it really looks like parts are missing.

On the remote receiver, it looks like a Digi-code. Not sure what model yet though.

Thanks again,

Post up some full size pic's and i'll see if i can figure out what your missing.

As to the remote take some pics of it too, I can't remember if the old ones were porgramable or not.

If they are and I can find a old one thats the same as yours you can have it.

Quote Originally Posted by henrytaber View Post
    Thanks. It is possible it was frozen door trim. It is also possible it might be the lower roller. You see I just bought this '97 Grand Caravan Entervan...with only 55k miles! $6500...It was so pristine and cheap I could not turn it down. My old GC had an IMS conversion, and about a billion miles on it. Very reliable van and conversion. Door design sucks, but it is easily fixable.

But the "new" '97 does have a couple issues. One is this door bar and the other is the remote receiver is maybe fried.

On the door bar, if one of you have an Entervan about this year, could you peek over the folded ramp and snap a photo of what a working one looks like? My bar has obviously been bent...several times. But it really looks like parts are missing.

On the remote receiver, it looks like a Digi-code. Not sure what model yet though.

Thanks again,
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Thanks, I snapped a couple this morning. Now, if I can figure out how to include them here, I will.

As for the remote receiver, I was wrong it is not fried, it is missing. Obviously it must have failed and the previous owner removed it. The transmitter still works though. So if your offer still stands, I'd appreciate knowing the number because Digi-code (company that makes Multi-code) makes several that the transmitter can interface with. Getting one from you would be super...whether or not it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images