Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable hand controls

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    I have the Wheelability ones also. I've never had any problems with them. They are easy for me to install and un-install myself. I simply leave my legs outside the car, and lean back, balancing as best I can, and install them. It probably seems a lot harder then it is, but it's really not.

I have a set from wheelabilty and I think their great I oinly used them twice. I got them because we were going on a trip. I'm thinking about selling them. I paid $350 for them. $45 was overnight delivery! They are still in great shape and I sell them if anyone is interested let me know!

I was just surfin' and came across these:

portable controls

Look interesting because of simple install.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

What's the biggest difference between these portable ones and the rigid hand controls? I'm looking at borrowing my sister's car for a year (until I have the funds to buy my own car). The portable ones look good, but I can't seem to figure out how they work. Is it just like the rigid (push to stop, pull to accelerate) or are they separate controls for the brake and gas pedal.

I have heard really good things about the rigid ones.

For those of you that have tried both what do you think? Also, when you rent a car with hand controls, are they usually the portable kind? What brand?
    Daniel

Cars I have rented had monarch controls and some cheesy push pull type. I have those peddle masters and they are pretty good but not ideal. Gas pedals are much different on different cars. Some are real narrow and some are real wide. It wont hold onto the narrow pedals. So I wrapped duct tape around the jaws to make them narrow. Then its a pain to get them to stick on wide pedals later. It is common for the gas to just fall off. The brake is real good EXCEPT you have to be careful when hitting the skids that the gas isnt under the brakes. Hit skids, handles connect, apply gas.

If you can the Colours are the best I have seen. They use them all the time not just portable. I know other guys that use similiar hand controls all of the time as well. Certainly cheaper and easier.

The pedal masters look kinda scary to me, then again I've never used anything other than the kind perm. installed. The timing of this thread couldn't have been better, my DH and I were just talking about buying a set last night. He just went for his drivers training eval yesterday, and he doesn't want to have to wait to be able to drive his truck after they change his drivers license. I've been thinking about buying a set on and off ever since I started driving again 12 yrs ago myself, in case I ever needed to rent a car in a hurry. I guess I'll be checking out the other sets availible, I just can't see myself driving with the peddle masters.
    Linda H.

I ended up getting the colours ones. They seemed okay actually. Press with the thumb to accelerate. Press with your wrist to brake. I think they just take some practice.
    Last edited by dan_nc; 03-29-2006 at 11:17 PM.
    Daniel

Like I said, I think the wheelability ones are best

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    I would recommend the Wheelability ones over the Sportaid z4 ones. I have the Wheelability ones and they are very easy to install and use, the z4 ones can be a little tricky to drive with.
    Like the ones in the picture Hunker posted. I have had no problems with mine, well almost no problems, I was getting an oil change and forgot to remove them and the mechanic nearly drove the car through the wall.

Well I just ordered a set from Wheelability, I'm looking forward to being able to finally take my DH's new 2006, F150 for a spin.
    Linda H.

Good deal Linda

They sure do come in handy at times to have. It is great to be able to drive just about car out there as long as it is an automatic, I have even had mine in Corvette. Be very careful installing them in making sure they are not binding on anything and then most important push down on the brake and pull the throttle hard a few times after they are installed to make sure everything is properly attached and the engine comes back down to idle properly. If installed, tested after installation and driven properly they can be a safe control. As I said before never let anybody else drive the car using the foot pedals with the controls still installed, that is asking for trouble, always remove the controls when you have anybody else drive the car.