Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a house..

Just bought a house..

So after looking at acreage and neighborhoods for around 5 months or so, I finally found a house that I like.. at a local lake that I grew up skiing and hanging out at. It was built in '95 and is in great shape and not in need of too much modification. The biggest interior project is gonna' be the roll-in shower. This is on the basement level whereas it's already finished with a nice drop-tile ceiling, full kitchen and hardwood flooring in the living room and kitchen area. I'm replacing the carpet in the 2 bedrooms and linoleum in the comp. room to hardwoods to match the existing. Only 1 door needs widening too as the rest is wide open. The upstairs needs only some color changes..

The exterior is where my main focus is. You might say why buy a house on a hill/sloping lot? The prob. is that most of the homes on this lake are on sloping lots and almost all that are for sale are that way. This is why it took close to 3 months to finally decide. I'd find a flat lot, but the house didn't work or a workable house, but the lot was way too steep. After finding this house and looking at practically every other house I could find, I made my decision. I kept comparing everything to this one and nothing compared.

I have hired a builder to do the outside work. I am having a driveway cut in so I can park my van on the bottom level. A winding concrete pathway will be built with retaining walls to give me a safe way to the lake. The new dock has already been started and hopefully done by the end of the week. A lot trees are supposed to be cleared starting tomorrow to open the view up. The former owners are still there so I'll snap some pics after they move their furniture.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Nice, I know you are going to enjoy the breeze from the lake to cool the Georgia heat.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Congratulation,it looks great !
    How will the noise level be? You'll be OK with all the party goers?
    Hang on to those trees if you can, will prevent soil erosion & keep the place cooler.
    All the best!!!

Congrats Jeff. Looks great
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Very nice place, Jeff. So when's the housewarming.

But,hey, I won't be too upset if I'm not invited.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Thanks guys. Yes Aly, the breeze will help, but some days are stagnant so I'm installing some fans on the dock possibly with misters.. for those ''dog days'' in August.

Ha, the noise levels will be by my own admission. What kept my interest on this place is it's seclusion. It's on almost 4 acres with close to 500' of waterfront... but some does curve into a small cove. The closet neighbor doesn't live there and usual only frequents on holiday weekends. I'm ''buffered'' on all 4 sides.

Having pine trees in Georgia is like having an elevator in a outhouse.. it don't belong. After the walkway is completed, I'll need to consult a ''green thumb'' expert to help in deciding what to plant..

I'm sure it will be a never ending project as I have lots of ideas, but I'm excited and ready.

Jukey, of course you are invited. I've always wanted to sit out back looking at the lake with a ''grandpa''.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Wow!!!

That's awesome 2jazz...ya brat! Have a blast mun!!!!

Yes it is quite gorgeous. Enjoy!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BC...en_by_Internet

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    So after looking at acreage and neighborhoods for around 5 months or so, I finally found a house that I like.
    Very pretty. Congrats!

You might say why buy a house on a hill/sloping lot? The prob. is that most of the homes on this lake are on sloping lots and almost all that are for sale are that way.
    You could always build a funicular. How do you currently get down to the docks?

C.

jeff congrats The house looks wonderful.
    Be always determined in Life and Love