Thread: stop spasms...

stop spasms...

Hi everyone,

I'm c4. 13 y. post injury. I hate medications. I almost stop all of them as soon as I left rehab. center. Now,13 years later, I want to know if there's something new available that can be taken to stop spasms. It's so frustrating when I'm in public area and that big spasm happens. I would like, if it's possible, to take this medication only when I'm in these public area.

Thank you all for help

Steve

There really isn't any spasticity med you can take "prn", as a blood level needs to be maintained for these drugs to be truely effective. In addition, they are more sedating when used irregularly than when used routinely.

The main drug still used for spasticity is baclofen, which can be taken as a pill, or as an implanted pump which puts the drug directly into your spinal cord. This latter application is new since your injury.

The other main new drug is Zanaflex.

Keep in mind that all the anti-spasticity drugs are most effective in treating spasticity, but less effective in prevention of spasms.

I would suggest discussing your options in this area with your SCI physician.

(KLD)

Thx for your useful infos.
    What's the difference between spasm and spasticity?

Steve

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

There really isn't any spasticity med you can take "prn", as a blood level needs to be maintained for these drugs to be truely effective. In addition, they are more sedating when used irregularly than when used routinely.

The main drug still used for spasticity is baclofen, which can be taken as a pill, or as an implanted pump which puts the drug directly into your spinal cord. This latter application is new since your injury.

The other main new drug is Zanaflex.

Keep in mind that all the anti-spasticity drugs are most effective in treating spasticity, but less effective in prevention of spasms.

I would suggest discussing your options in this area with your SCI physician.

(KLD)

Spasticity is the excessive muscle tone found in many people with central nervous system damage or disease (SCI, MS, stroke, TBI, etc.). Spasms are involuntary muscle movements that are often found in people with spasticity.

(KLD)

One thing that works is marijuana, if you're in a state where medical MJ is legal. Stops spasms cold (but then you may be too loose.)

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Thx Alan,

I don't the feeling of being stone
    I think that the solution still dealing with those spasms. Btw, my friend installed that implanted pump. He died 2 years ago of cancer. The family and a doctor suspect the pump to be the cause because the cancer was exactly around the pump.I would not take the chance even it's not 100% sure it was the cause.

Steve.

Originally posted by alan:

One thing that works is marijuana, if you're in a state where medical MJ is legal. Stops spasms cold (but then you may be too loose.)

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"