Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limits?

Question Limits?

Generally speaking ..

Is there is a limit for the hurt one person can cause you in the name of love?

Is there a limit for your tolerance?

Yes, but the one being hurt sets the limit, not the one doing the hurting. If you have more hurt than joy, you really need to think about it.
    Mary
    1FineSpineRN

Quote Originally Posted by drnader
    Generally speaking ..

Is there is a limit for the hurt one person can cause you in the name of love?

Is there a limit for your tolerance?
    If is real love hurt does not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MioaraD
    I don't find that to be true. How can someone that you do not love or care for hurt you. It has been said that we tend to hurt more the ones we love. With love comes deep emotions. As far as the original question does love have it's limits in hurting? If it is true unconditional love the hurt can go deep but the love WILL ALWAYS be there. Ask any parent.

I believe a bit like Mary said. Love can hurt at times. In a relationship between two adults, we have to set the limits as to how much we will allow the other person to hurt us. Otherwise, it becomes an abusive and sick relationship which cannot survive. As to our relationship with our children it will have to change as they grow older.

I was told once by my son that he was puzzled by how I acted with my daughter. Since I had disciplined her, he thought I hated her. I told him that the discipline was not hate, but love. I loved her enough so that I had to hurt inside while disciplining her so she would learn a lesson from the discipline I meted out. I believe we love our children so much that we also forgive them their errors but also must discipline them even though our hearts are breaking at times. I believe there is a difference with our children.

Raven

Lightbulb I agree there is a difference

There is a great difference between the love of parents and their need to be strict to descipline their children and the love relationship that develops between 2 adults ...

In the first; the need to show cold hard wisdom is often required or otherwise you leave the children to go astray. For what parenting is all about, it is about guidance and setting the examples for the good in life to prevail with the least damage possible

On the other hand in the second type, hurt between 2 peers in a relationship comes from arrogance, greed, immaturity or irresponsibility toward the other part in the relationship.

Favoring the bad over the good for the relationship like infidelity, betrayal, love of money etc... all these things usually comes from that one or both parts do not look in the same direction for the relationship to grow and hold them together forever...

i.e. hurt in the first kind is not hurt it is called up-bringing not hurt ..
    in the second it is the deepest hurt you will ever experience, to love, to care and to be willing to give your life to the one you love and in return all you have is hurt and a love-proof heart ...

there is no limit.......

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m
    I don't find that to be true. How can someone that you do not love or care for hurt you. It has been said that we tend to hurt more the ones we love. With love comes deep emotions. As far as the original question does love have it's limits in hurting? If it is true unconditional love the hurt can go deep but the love WILL ALWAYS be there. Ask any parent.
    I live by this rule:
    To love someone (in my opinion) is to love them like myself , to love any less is not real love .
    I would not hurt myself so why would I hurt someone that I love ?
    I have 6 children & yet I found ways to teach them wrong from right without corporal or mental punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MioaraD
    That's a crock. Nothing is perfect.

To love someone (in my opinion) is to love them like myself , to love any less is not real love .
    I would not hurt myself so why would I hurt someone that I love ?
    So you NEVER hurt yourself? Wow. That's quite a trick. Never make a bad decision? Never stub your toe? Never dated the wrong person? Never stay up too late? Never miss an appointment? Never look in the mirror and wish you saw something else?

There are 1000 little ways every day that one can hurt themselves, just as there are 1000 little ways that one could hurt their loved ones. Not on purpose, not irrepairably, but still it's hurt. Should one strive not to cause hurt or harm? Of course, but as I said, nothing's perfect.

C.

A matter of heart

"became vain in their reasonings, and their senseless heart was darkened." Romans (1:21)

Do you believe that there is a senseless heart, or to be exact a "Stupid" heart that knows not how to receive love and so not to give it away ..
    Could it be just love-proof?

or it is all just in the mind... or the personality ..