Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TiLite ZRA: V-front vs Taper? Ergonomic Seating?

Quote Originally Posted by Dado
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of "V" vs. Tapered front ends? I'll order a ZRA in the next few days and I'm really undecided about the front end.

Thanks!
    I dont think there is advantage or disavantage with either V or Taper front, just a matter of look and preference.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

There can be an advantage with either depending on the individual user. Case in point, I saw two veterans who "frog" at the hips (knees splay outward due to abduction and external rotation of the hips). One has a ZRc with a tapered seat and v-front end. His hip externally rotates, causing his right knee splays outward--causing him some pain. If he gets a chair with the tapered front, the tubing would be parallel below the "kink". If the footrest width is not too wide, the lower half of the front frame tubing would keep his lower legs parallel--preventing his knee from moving outward. One veteran I spoke last week on this subject appropriately termed this concept "caging".

This morning, however, I was all set to spec out a Quickie GTi for a veteran who also frogged. With the blue Quickie GT shown in my ZRc thread, the portion of legs 2" below his knee was subject to excessive pressure at the "kink". I got out my ZRc which has a V front end and had him sit in it. In his case, his frogging was better accommodated since the tubing stayed parallel to his lower legs all the way down to the footplate--providing more surface area for better pressure distribution. Again, footrest width is the key. He is coming back next week and we will spec out a new ZRa with the C package.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell which will be best for a given individual without demo chairs having both types of front frames. Since custom titanium rigid frames are expensive, I always have a little more anxiety about when getting specs without a suitable demo.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 08-08-2007 at 06:58 AM.

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!

I own an old Quickie GPS with a V front end and I think it looks better than the tapered front. As for the pressure, I think my case is the second one, and the tapered front would put too much pressure on my lower legs. I tried a tapered front wheelchair for a couple of hours and noticed some red pressure marks that doesn´t appear when I´m using my Quickie.

i prefer the tapered kink. thats what i have always ran on my colours chairs

i dont have any hip issues but i prefer my legs open
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    i dont have any hip issues but i prefer my legs open
    He likes his balls air cooled.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Quote Originally Posted by Hype62
    He likes his balls air cooled.
    correct
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

V versus Taper?

Quote Originally Posted by Dado View Post
    Thanks guys!

I own an old Quickie GPS with a V front end and I think it looks better than the tapered front. As for the pressure, I think my case is the second one, and the tapered front would put too much pressure on my lower legs. I tried a tapered front wheelchair for a couple of hours and noticed some red pressure marks that doesn´t appear when I´m using my Quickie.
    I've been using a old Quickie GP Ti with a V front end too! I think that the V looks better 'cooler' even than the taper. Never any pressure marks on my legs. I use an Ernie Ball guitar strap with Velcro that keeps my legs from 'splaying', I guess I like hot balls?

I'm thinking that with the 'V' front end and a narrow - 11 inch foot rest, it'll be easier to negotiate tight areas, is this true? Would I have the same clearance with the Taper?

I have the tapered front end on my order but it is not final.

I'm at the setting up the chair point: a ZRa2, looks like my insurance is going to pay! I have a choice, no extra charge, between the V & the taper.
    Last edited by Garyis; 08-13-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: missing words
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Terminology confusion– three separate options exist.
    (terms from TiLite TR, ZR2, ZRA2, ZR1, ZRA1, Aero Z order forms)

1) “seat taper”: a) no taper means seat frame bars are parallel; b) taper means front of seat frame is narrower than rear of seat frame.
    2) “standard front end” (aka “footrest taper”): footrest width may be narrower than front of seat frame, and bottom of front-frame angle tubes are vertical where the footrest inserts (thus the 'kinks' in the front-frame tubes).
    3) “V-Front end”: front-angle frame tubes are straight (i.e., no kinks), but are closer together at the bottom than the top (unless "no v-front taper" is selected).

"tapered front end" is not a term used on the order forms.

A selection of either 1A+2 or 1b+3 is required.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 08-13-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Okay, thanks for this info. I knew what seat taper was and I am not into a seat taper. I was not sure of the terminology.

2) “standard front end” (aka “footrest taper”): footrest width may be narrower than front of seat frame and bottom of front-frame angle tubes are vertical where the footrest inserts (thus the 'kinks' in the front-frsame tubes.

3) “V-Font end”: front-angle frame tubes are straight (i.e., no kinks), but are closer togeth at the bottom than the top.

I'm going with a 16 X 16 inch seat width and depth, and an 11 inch foot rest.

My question is: using above measurements, will the "V-Front end" give me a smaller 'foot print' in regards to turning radius and the ability to manuver in close quarters.

Or, will the "standard front end" be better in this regard?

I hope my language explains what I'm trying to find out.

My thoughts are that with the same measurements there will be no difference other than appearance, right?

Question, are these measurements; seat width and foot rest width, inside to inside measurements or outside to outside?

Many Thanks,

But wait! I just re-read your post; "A selection of either 1A+2 or 1b+3 is required."

This answers my question, thanks for that.

Gary
    Last edited by Garyis; 08-14-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: No information
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

A person can't get an ergo seat with the ZRA or TRa due t o the rsh changing making the ergo change also. I tried but they wouldn't do it. You can on a ZR or TR.

A person can always make their own ergo seat by making a hard foam wedge and placing it at the rear of the seat. much cheaper and can be taken out or changed arond for little cost