Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New from central FL

New from central FL

Hi all,
    I am an SCI caregiver who found this site on accident. My husband was in a car accident on the 4th of June, 2007. He is currently at Shepherds in Atlanta and doing well. His injury level at this point is C7 complete. I'm looking forward to finding out lots of information from this site.
    I am currently at home trying to get things ready before he is discharged on July 31st. I honestly don't think I will be ready, but am trying. We head back to Atlanta on Monday.
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by phewitt
    Hi all,
    I am an SCI caregiver who found this site on accident. My husband was in a car accident on the 4th of June, 2007. He is currently at Shepherds in Atlanta and doing well. His injury level at this point is C7 complete. I'm looking forward to finding out lots of information from this site.
    I am currently at home trying to get things ready before he is discharged on July 31st. I honestly don't think I will be ready, but am trying. We head back to Atlanta on Monday.
    Pam
    Pam, welcome. Wise.

Hello Pam

My son, Brian, was injured on Feb 9 and is also at The Shepherd Center in Atlanta. Brian is in the Day Program at the Shepherd Center. Brian will be returning to Phoenix on July 13, he has been in Atlanta since Feb 28. My wife and daughter have been in Atlanta with Brian the entire time I usually go on the weekends. I've stayed at home the last couple of weekends to get the house ready for when Brian returns. Some of the things that I've done.

1. Replaced the downstairs carpet with wood flooring
    2. Removed the raised threshold at the front door
    3. Poured a sloped concrete sidewalk to eliminate the step coming into the house.
    4. Removed the bathroom vanity and installed an accessible sink and facuet
    5. Brought a Ford Van with a lift
    6. Brought an Active Aid shower/commode bench for the shower
    7. Arranged for out patient therapy at St. Josephs Hospital in Phoenix
    8. Scheduled Brian to go to Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore Sept 3 for Activity Based Restorative Therapy.
    9. I'm working on getting a full size adjustable bed, as a temporary solution I've arranged to borrow a hospital bed from some people from our church
    10. My wife has scheduled an appointment for Brian to see a primary care physician as soon as he returns to Phoenix

During the last three weeks I've been in panic mode to get these things done. I have one more week to get everything completed. I'm hoping that I'll have enough done for when they get home so that we can function. While Brian has been in the Day Program my wife and daughter have been living with Brian in one of the Shepherd apartments close to the hospital. This has been a training time for us because we've had to take care of Brian's needs but there was still help available if required. It's a good transition step. I would recommend that you look at the Shepherd Day Program to see if it's an option.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 07-07-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Roger,
    So many things I haven't started to think about yet.... I hope we can do the day program there, it sounds like a great training ground.
    Pam
    Pam

Good luck Shepherd is a good place. I was sad to read of another person there though.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Welcome Pam. I too was at the Shepherd Center over 4 1/2 years ago. Don't forget about measuring your door openings and widening the ones needed.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Hey Pam,
    I'm another Shepherd alumni. I know this is the last thing on your mind but please if you get the opportunity to tell James Shepherd or Mrs. Alana hello for me I would appreciate it. I know you have met one or both of them while you have been there. They make it a point to be visable and know there patients. My name is Grandin from columbus, Georgia. Maybe they will remember I crashed my experimental airplane to become a member of this distinguished club. I am so sorry to hear of your husbands accident. Keep believing that miracles can happen and I am glad you found this website so early. There is a wealth of good information here. Unfortunately there is also some misinformation. You will quickly discover which is which. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any question about anything. Nothing is too embaressing. There is a good chance we have been dowm similiar roads.
    God bless and keep ya'll in his arms.
    a new friend Grange
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Thanks so much

Thank you all for the welcomes and the advice. Looks like I may be ok when he gets home. We will still have to make some accomodations when he gets home, but at least then we will have a better idea of what he is going to really need.
    I have the ramps being poured this week and am purchasing a van within the next month. Till my vanis ready we wil rent one to get him around when he gets home.
    Luckily our house is pretty well functional for him getting around, just a few doors to be widened, but we can do till he gets here and we have more time.
    Thanks so much!!!
    Pam

HELLO shepards is the best.
    i use the same bed i had before i got hurt. we took off the casters so its about the same height my chair. i have loops accrossed the bedso when i transfer i grab them with my arm and roll into bed. i am c6 c7. i tried a hospital bed but didn/t like it love my cal king.

Hello, I live in North Central Florida. After you get up and going about, I have a friend with a pontoon boat. And It is a great 4 or more hour ride, if you want some rec. It is awsome, and always room for one more.
    C-5 c-6 indomplete.