Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

Does anybody watch "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" Some of the questions are difficult for adults to answer. Simple facts we learned in grade school about subjects like geography and science, but have long forgotten, stump the contestants, and send the students into fits of giggles and jeering.

One question last night stumped me. Not the question, but the category -- 2nd grade math. I don't think a 7 year old has the capacity to handle all the steps involved to answer this question: If March first falls on Wednesday, on what day of the week will April first fall?

My informal poll tells me that 4 out of 6, usually intelligent, adults will come up with the wrong answer. Can you answer it correctly?

This is one of my favorite shows. Most of the questions are pretty easy and it's amazing how many of the contestants don't know them.
    As for last night's question, all you had to do was count it up like the guy did on the show. Of course it helps if you know how many days are in March, which anyone who remembers the "30 days hath" rhyme should know. He was one of the brighter ones I've seen on it. Jeff and the kids definitely make that show.

Talking

i also love that show and think that the questions are pretty easy !!

i wish i could go
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla

One question last night stumped me. Not the question, but the category -- 2nd grade math. I don't think a 7 year old has the capacity to handle all the steps involved to answer this question: If March first falls on Wednesday, on what day of the week will April first fall?
    Dead easy - April fool's day!

lol
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

I love the show as well. I'm amazed at what some people don't know though. In general, I get them correct, it would be fun to be on it sometime.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

So you think the questions are easy? Did you know how many legs are on a butterfly? As much as I enjoy watching butterflies help to polenate my garden, I never noticed their legs. I've even painted them, but I never gave them legs in my pictures. I guess I'm not as smart as a 5th grader. I got that one wrong.

Sunday. I loved the rocket scientist.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla
    So you think the questions are easy? Did you know how many legs are on a butterfly? As much as I enjoy watching butterflies help to polenate my garden, I never noticed their legs. I've even painted them, but I never gave them legs in my pictures. I guess I'm not as smart as a 5th grader. I got that one wrong.
    It really is grade-school stuff. One of the first things they taught us about insects was that they all (as adults) have six legs. If it has more, it's something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellonwheels
    It really is grade-school stuff. One of the first things they taught us about insects was that they all (as adults) have six legs. If it has more, it's something else.
    So a butterfly is an insect? I must have been absent that day. Or maybe I forgot that tibit of information after being out of grade school for nearly 50 years. LOL